How far should projector be from ceiling?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by chalkstorm, Nov 3, 2005.

1. chalkstorm

chalkstorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi all

Looking to but a Screenplay 5700/7205/7210. I will be using a ceiling mount - and my room is 8' tall.

I am planning a 8' diagonal 16:9 electric screen - attached to the ceiling - approx 17' from the projector.

What sort of height should the lens be at? Is there an ideal height? I need to buy a mount so obviously need to be sure what I'm doing. Any recommendations on mounts?

Thanks in advance

Simon

2. Malky1903

Malky1903

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    It depends on the PJ's offset (the distance between the centre of the lens and the top of the projected image)
    You could play safe and buy a mount with adjustable height.

3. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    whats best is a mount with adjustable height but also tilt ability to be safe, tilt isnt so good as it can require using keystone adjustments to make the picture square again, but in some cases you may not have the option to avoid it.......

the other thing is that projectors create different size images from the same distance, atm you can only use the 5700 if you stick with your 8ft diagonal screen and 17ft location of projector.....the 7205 and 7210 will give a minimum of approx 112in at 17ft.......i think you can buy lenses to alter this, and the 7205 does have a screw thread for lenses, but i wouldnt like to say how much they cost or how easy to get hold of them etc........if you want 8ft then the 7205/7210 needs to be around 14ft 4in away from the screen......

goto www.projectorcentral.com and look on the left hand banner for calculatorpro, that shows you sizes to lengths etc.....make sure you choose Infocus Home, not just Infocus.....otherwise you wont get the list of PJ's you are after.....

personally i can say the 7205 is good, i enjoy mine very much :)

4. chalkstorm

chalkstorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks again guys
    Now looking at a 7205 - and using the calculator I think it'll give me the size I'm after at the right distance. Just got to remeasure to ensure I've left enough room for the plasma behind the screen. Am I correct in thinking the throw is measured from the lens to the screen (stupid question maybe....?)
    Cheers
    Si

5. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    aye, from lens to screen (far as i know anyhow...lol)

if u go for the 7205, there are a number of places doing refurb models a little bit cheaper than the current new price for them......if you consider this, do it through sevenoaks, they have a deal with infocus whereby you get a 3 year Gold Warranty which gives you next business day replacement....not bad ;-)
    far as i know none of the other places doing the refurbs have this, they are only giving the standard warranty...

btw tho, i do recommend you view one first before you buy if possible, just to make sure you are not easily susceptible to the rainbow effect, because if you are then you need to consider LCD options instead......unless you dont mind looking at rainbows in a film...lol