How far do you think England will reach?

klacey

Prominent Member
Reaction score
As title, just how far do you think we are capable of reaching, and how far would you be happy to see use reach?
Personally i would be happy to reach the quarters and expect we will, any further would be awesome. :smashin:

Hoping for the semis it's the only world cup were I'm not getting excited about the England team 4 years ago I thought we had the best team we have had in ages now expectations are lower but I'm thinking that's a good thing and I may be in for a surprise

Hoping for the semis it's the only world cup were I'm not getting excited about the England team 4 years ago I thought we had the best team we have had in ages now expectations are lower but I'm thinking that's a good thing and I may be in for a surprise

Yeah have to agree, this year i have very low expectations. We have put in some very poor performances against average teams. But you never know.

Semi Final's.

We have as good a chance as any bar Spain and Brazil to win it and don't think we should fear any of the rest of the teams.

How far we go will be dependant on if we win the group or not. If we don't then we will get to the quarters but believe we really can get to at least the Semi if we win our group. The game tomorrow is vital and going to be tough, I reckon it will finish 2-2.

Semi Finals is totally achievable. Once we are there we are the best prepared we have ever been to make a good fist of winning it. Cappello is the best manager at the tournament barring perhaps Del Bosque but I still think Cappello could outwit him.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was a slow start for us (a draw against the US) but as gather momentum and confidence we will be as good as anyone else there.

Semi Finals is totally achievable. Once we are there we are the best prepared we have ever been to make a good fist of winning it. Cappello is the best manager at the tournament barring perhaps Del Bosque but I still think Cappello could outwit him.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was a slow start for us (a draw against the US) but as gather momentum and confidence we will be as good as anyone else there.

I'd take a draw tomorrow if we won our group and improved with every game. If we go out and beat USA 3-0 or something i think the players will believe the papers hype.

I hope we don't lose but i'd take a draw or a close victory where the players know they have to work hard for the result and other results.

Look at Germany, they always get off to a bit of a shaky start but have a consistant tournament and invariably get to the semi's or final.

Last 16 / Quarter finals. They will draw a proper team and crash out :(

England will finish second in the group then go out in the Last 16

:devil:'s Advocate

Semis minimum. We have a better squad than 4 years ago IMO, certainly a fitter one & a more experienced one. We also have a far better manager, plan B, plan C & the weather will be a huge bonus compared to many previous tournaments. There's no reason we shouldn't reach the semis & I wouldn't be surprised if we made the final looking at how the draw pans out.

It's there for the taking this year, none of the other top teams are as strong as they have been, or could be. Even Spain are having internal problems & injuries galore. Brazil aren't anywhere near as strong as previous years, neither are Italy. Germany have lost keys players, Argentina's manager is a loon, the Dutch are fighting as usual & the French are in a complete mess, internal fighting & a manager who's planning on playing a system he's never played before.

We're in good hands, in a good group, with good players, good morale & on the better half of the draw. Jobsagoodun!!

Semi-Finalists, finishing 3rd.

If the tournament panned out exactly to the highest ranked team in the World Rankings winning each time we'd not play a higher ranked nation until the Semi-Finals. It won't of course... Portugal 3rd best team in the world FIFA? Are you sure?

Quarter finals - lose on penalties

Can't believe it's been 20 years since we reached the semi's

We'll top the group, beat Serbia in the last 16, beat France in the quarters and go out to Brazil in the semis.

This is England's most likely route to the final should they get there: BBC World Cup - Team Tracker

Out in the semi's ,i just don,t think mentally we have what it takes to win ,to truly say you are the best team in the world takes a special breed and the england team just doesn't cut it,the level of skill and intensity just isn't in this team,although capello is probably one the best managers we have ever had..

You dont have a good enough keeper or enough quality in wide positions to seriously trouble any of the big teams.

Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney and maybe A. Cole are world class, its the other 7 on the field with them that'll let them down.

Rio, as much as people may question the season he's had, will be a big miss. Whoever comes in is going to be under considerable pressure to perform, either at a level they haven't done before or with question markes over fitness or pace.

Out in the semi's ,i just don,t think mentally we have what it takes to win ,to truly say you are the best team in the world takes a special breed and the england team just doesn't cut it,the level of skill and intensity just isn't in this team,although capello is probably one the best managers we have ever had..

If Greece can win the Euro's?

You dont have a good enough keeper or enough quality in wide positions to seriously trouble any of the big teams.

I listened to a very interesting theory from one Journo the other day that pointed to every World Cup winner since 94 having the best full backs at the Tournament. Having looked at Johnson and Cole we have two excellent attacking fullbacks one of which is exceptional tracking back and in the tackle. Johnson can be caught exposed but going forward is creative, direct and can even get you a goal or two. The only other team that has outstanding fullbacks is Brazil with Maicon and Dani Alves.
Now I am not going to try and tell you all that this what the World Cup is won and lost on but its an interesting theory and the evidence is there for all to see.

Too much emphasis is placed on individual players and it simply isn't that kind of a competition any more. The days of someone like Maradona winning almost single handedly are long gone. We have strength, we have depth, we have the backroom staff, we have the wily old fox manager whom no player is bigger..........but most importantly........

WE HAVE THE BLOODY FULLBACKS :clap:

That's 100% my feelings this time around. I'm normally an optimist but I'm just not feeling it. Maybe it's no bad thing.

I The days of someone like Maradona winning almost single handedly are long gone.

There's another diminutive Argentine that may make you eat your words. I doubt he will but he's the only one capable of doing so:)

I listened to a very interesting theory from one Journo the other day that pointed to every World Cup winner since 94 having the best full backs at the Tournament. Having looked at Johnson and Cole we have two excellent attacking fullbacks one of which is exceptional tracking back and in the tackle. Johnson can be caught exposed but going forward is creative, direct and can even get you a goal or two. The only other team that has outstanding fullbacks is Brazil with Maicon and Dani Alves.
Now I am not going to try and tell you all that this what the World Cup is won and lost on but its an interesting theory and the evidence is there for all to see.

Too much emphasis is placed on individual players and it simply isn't that kind of a competition any more. The days of someone like Maradona winning almost single handedly are long gone. We have strength, we have depth, we have the backroom staff, we have the wily old fox manager whom no player is bigger..........but most importantly........

WE HAVE THE BLOODY FULLBACKS :clap:

Spot on. Dont think you can even use Brazil as a comparison as both play at RB.

Still think we'll lose to Holland in the Semis though.

If Greece can win the Euro's?

Like i said mentally we just will never turn into a solid unit or an unbeatable team ,sven talks alot about the mental side of our game in in his books ,i agree we just don't have it,our fear takes over and we bottle it.

Having looked at Johnson and Cole we have two excellent attacking fullbacks one of which is exceptional tracking back and in the tackle. Johnson can be caught exposed but going forward is creative, direct and can even get you a goal or two.

It's not going forward where Johnson worries me....:(

The only other team that has outstanding fullbacks is Brazil with Maicon and Dani Alves.

Come on Steve....are you being serious?!

How about Serbia - Ivanovic and Kolarov. :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom