how far do b&wcdm1nt need to be from tv as they are not shielded

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by mick23, May 29, 2002.

1. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i wish to purchase bwcdm1nt which i have auditioned these are not mag shielded as space is limited ,tv in a corner i want speakers either side of tv but at most can manage about 12" either side max , will this be far enough not to affect my toshiba 28inch tv thank you

2. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,303
    Hi

They should be ok a foot either side of the TV. I had some Kefs that werent shielded about 6 inches either side of my TV and had no problems.

See if the dealer will let you do a home demo first though, then you´ll know for sure before you buy.

3. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i got dealer to put cdm1nt close to a tv in the store they were ok within 4" of tv but tv was an expensive lowe model have to see if i get trouble when speakers get delivered next week thank you

4. Tom Braider

Tom Braider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No disrespect intended, but in spite of what people have said, there's no guarantee of anything without trying YOUR make of speakers against the television you intend to use.

I had my Definitive 2002s (big things) about 18 ins from each side of my 28in tv. It stained the edges a little but the tv grew accustomed to it and the staining disappeared gradually (I hardly noticed it come and go). Whenever I moved the speakers and pulled the tv unit out for access, the staining would reappear until everything was repositioned.

Then I got interested in a Panasonic 36in. So I found one in a showroom, and with the permission of a salesman I took one of those medium sized speakers that you get with those typical midi systems and held it right next to the Panasonic. No staining whatsoever. So I got the tv. What happened when I put my speakers next to it after delivery? That's right - staining. As I could forsee a problem elsewhere and a need to return the tv, I moved the speakers a foot further away to prevent unneccessary damage (albeit temporary) to the screen, and I did in fact return it 3 weeks later.

If you have very mild discolouration as I had with my first tv, you may find as I did that it disappears after a while. I feel sure tthe same would have happened with the 36in. Certainly, powering it fully off and on to run the de-gaussing function helped a lot.

5. Patrick vdb

Patrick vdb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mick

The user manual of the CDM-1NT indicates that 0,5 meter is sufficient enough.

best regards

Patrick