1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How far can I push my Q1's?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by @if ®afiq, Feb 19, 2005.

1. @if ®afiq

@if ®afiq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    My Q1's are powered by an SR5400 - how far can I oush them? I had them at -5 and am not too sure about pushing them any further.

2. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Your speakers can take anything your amp can dish out, unless it starts to clip. As soon as you start to hear distortion lower the volume. If you are driving 5 of them from that amp I'd guess it's pretty close to its limits.

3. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does the same apply to most setups? I have just been watching Terminator 3 at about -25db. The loudest i've had my amp is about -17db. Anymore than this and it would become uncomfortable. Could it be to do with the size of my room?

My amp is the Yamaha 640SE. Room size approx 4m square. There has never been any sign of distortion/clipping.

I suppose the larger the room, the more volume would be necessary?

4. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    The volume levels you are giving don't mean much unless the amp is calibrated. This normally done with an SPL meter or by the unit itself if it has such a facility. My recieiver is calibrated to reference level (105dB on the 5 speakers) at -0. Of course this is only for movies. Music and other sources have different levels plus some DVDs are mastered to higher or lower volumes levels than others.

When I said his speakers could take anything his amp could dish out I was going by spec. speakers can handle up to 120W which is more than his amp can do. However if the amp starts to struggle the distortion can be, unpleasent shall we say, for the speaker and lead to damage. It is more common to damage a speaker in this manner than through over-powering it.

In a larger room, more power will be required to reach the same volume, hence the need for calibration for a comparison between systems to be valid.

5. Ali K

Ali K

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Daneel

Where should the sound level be measured? At the listening position or in fron of the speaker?

6. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    You should measure at the listening position.

7. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
  8. Ali K

Ali K

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forgive my ignorance.

After my last thread regarding safe volume levels, I got a Lutron SPL meter and have proceeded to check the speaker balance using DVE.

I have also just had alook at the links you posted, I still am nor clear on how to calibrate to reference levels. One of your links recommended setting the volume and channel gain so all channels measured 75db on DVE; would this volume then be the designated reference level for my system? What is the 105 db level then, is this the maximum? If so how do I go about measuring the maximum; :lease:

9. Beobloke

Beobloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Depends how long your arms are........................ :rotfl:

A.