How exactly does 'Recording' work on Sky HD?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Mike710_0, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Mike710_0

Mike710_0
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im pretty new to having Sky HD installed and still cant figure out how recording works, plus it doesnt seem to mention all about it in the manual.

Say I see something I like I press 'record' and yes it does start but after i finish and go to my planner it never starts from the moment i press 'R'. Also I recorded a few music videos the other night and it broke the 1 recording into 2?!?! No idea why it'd do that!

Ive googled this but still not 100% sure how it all works or whats the best settings to have!

2. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,648
    Sky records the encrypted transport stream directly to the boxes hard drive.
    You need an active subscription to unencrypt recordings and watch them.

Now for the interesting parts , if you are watching a program and decide say , to record the rest of it and watch it later , then the recording starts from that point plus the rewind/pause TV time that you have set in the box settings.

This could be anything up to an hour earlier I think , it depends how long youve been watching the program for and what time you have this set to on the box. It cant go any earlier than a program start flag though. So if youve been watching a film say , for half an hour and your rewind time is 1 hour , when you press record you get from the start of the film or program if you know what I mean.

Programs that you are not watching but have set to record will start from the actual program start flag that is transmitted ( usually about half way through the ad breaks for most programs ) plus the buffer time set in the box. You need to watch this buffer time as if its set too long then consecutive programs on the same channel set to record can clash. Best to usually leave the buffer time at default.

Music video channels can change actual programs without you noticing , for instance MTV HD or VH1 can change say, from a chart video program to a classic rock video program during the ad break with no indication that the actual program has changed other than an ad break , that was probably what happened with the music video recordings

3. dwhite

dwhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,805
    If you have instant rewind on, the box is constantly recorded the channel you are watching, with this buffer being reset everytime you change channel. The consequence of this is that if you have been watching a programme for some time and you decide to record it, it will record all of the programme it has in its buffer as well as the rest of the programme. So if you have been watching for 10 minutes, and decide to record, those previous 10 minutes are also in the recording.

As for your other question, I'm not too sure what happened, but will say that it records based on the EPG, so if the program finshes according to the EPG, then the recording also completes. Don't think of it like a vcr, where you press record and it just records everything until you press stop.