How exactly do you connect a PS5 to a tv and an AVR ??

dimmy32

Standard Member
Reaction score
JUST got a new PS% and a new tv last night. I havent bought an AVR yet, but I want to set up a 5.1 surround sound system. Tv is a Sony X900H, so it has an HDMI 2.1 port.
Do I plug the PS5 into the tv or recevier ? or tv and PS5 into the AVR ? The tv has only one 2.1 HDMI ...so I'm pretty confused on what recveiver to buy, and where everything plugs into. I've looked online for this as well...everything seems kinda all over the place. Please dumb it down for me. :)

Congratulations on getting hold of a PS5!

In simple terms, yes you plug your PS5 into an HDMI input on your AVR and your TV into an HDMI output on your AVR.

The AVR will pass the video through to the TV and will play the 5.1 (or 7.1) surround sound itself.

Your TV should recognise that there is an AVR connected to it and use the AVR speakers for playing sound rather than its own speakers. The volume buttons on your TV remote control should control the AVR speaker volume so you don't need to use two remote controls

The AVR will have an input selector which you use to choose which HDMI input you want to listen to and watch on the TV. You can select inputs using the the AVR remote control. Depending on which AVR you get, it may automatically switch HDMI input to the one that the PS5 is connected to when you switch on the PS5.

Slightly more detailed information:

I have a Sony STR-DN1080 which has eight HDMI ports on the back.

1619781823639.png

The six HDMI ports on the left are Inputs, which is what you you connect your PS5 to; there's a port labeled "GAME", 5th from the left, which I've highlighted in red.

The two HDMI ports on the right are Outputs (some AVRs may only have one HDMI output port), which is what you connect your TV to; it's labeled "TV" and is on the right hand side which I've highlighted in yellow.

[PS5] ===> [AVR Game In]-<>-[AVR TV Out]===>[TV]

Remember that you will need an HDMI cable to connect the TV to the AVR in addition to the HDMI cable that connects the PS5 to the AVR.

I have connected my PS5 exactly as described above and it "just worked" without me having to do anything. There are advanced settings that you can use to fine tune things, but you should be OK with the defaults to start with.

If your AVR is HDMI 2.1 then PS5 to AVR via HDMI then AVR to TV's HDMI 2.1 via HDMI.

If your AVR is HDMI 2.0, then PS5 to TV's HDMI 2.1 and TV ARC to AVR via HDMI.

In simple terms, yes you plug your PS5 into an HDMI input on your AVR and your TV into an HDMI output on your AVR.

The AVR will pass the video through to the TV and will play the 5.1 (or 7.1) surround sound itself.

Your TV should recognise that there is an AVR connected to it and use the AVR speakers for playing sound rather than its own speakers. The volume buttons on your TV remote control should control the AVR speaker volume so you don't need to use two remote controls

The AVR will have an input selector which you use to choose which HDMI input you want to listen to and watch on the TV. You can select inputs using the the AVR remote control. Depending on which AVR you get, it may automatically switch HDMI input to the one that the PS5 is connected to when you switch on the PS5.

View attachment 1503421

The six HDMI ports on the left are Inputs, which is what you you connect your PS5 to; there's a port labeled "GAME", 5th from the left, which I've highlighted in red.

The two HDMI ports on the right are Outputs (some AVRs may only have one HDMI output port), which is what you connect your TV to; it's labeled "TV" and is on the right hand side which I've highlighted in yellow.

Remember that you will need an HDMI cable to connect the TV to the AVR in addition to the HDMI cable that connects the PS5 to the AVR.

I have connected my PS5 exactly as described above and it "just worked" without me having to do anything. There are advanced settings that you can use to fine tune things, but you should be OK with the defaults to start with.
I think the OP is wanting advice on how to connect in the most simplistic way whilst utilising HDMI 2.1 on the TV.

But... it will depend on the AVR and whether it is 2.0 or 2.1.

If your AVR is HDMI 2.1 then PS5 to AVR via HDMI then AVR to TV's HDMI 2.1 via HDMI.

I plan on getting an AVR with HDMI 2.1. Not sure which one works with a PS5 tho...

I think the OP is wanting advice on how to connect in the most simplistic way whilst utilising HDMI 2.1 on the TV.

View attachment 1503421

Thanks very much Marco, you've saved me alot of stress and headaches. This is exactly what I needed to know.... :)

Agreed. Especially as the X900H supports 120Hz refresh rate which does require HDMI 2.1 :thumbsup:

I read it that he was confused about how an AVR connects / operates and wanted a very simple explanation of how you connect it up, but yes HDMI 2.1 pass through (or lack of it) does complicate things

For an HDMI 2.0 AVR could use (e)ARC to route the audio from the TV back to the AVR and be able to use the HDMI 2.1 120Hz on the PS5.

If the OP is not bothered about 120Hz refresh rate gaming (yet to be enabled in PS5 firmware) and is happy with 60Hz then connecting the PS5 via an AVR shouldn't be an issue. Recent-ish HDMI 2.0 AVRs can pass through 4K 60Hz HDR reliably.

I believe that the X900H should automatically recognise the AVR and configure the audio output accordingly, although I've read comments on several forums saying that may be unreliable with certain AVRs or SoundBars.

1619785998624.png

I plan on getting an AVR with HDMI 2.1. Not sure which one works with a PS5 tho...

Unfortunatly it's not clear which AVRs will properly / reliably support HDMI 2.1 and play nice with your TV and PS5.

Given previous history, I'd expect the likes of Sony, Denon, Yamaha, etc to release (or at least announce) a new range of HDMI 2.1 AVRs in the Autumn, so it might be an idea to hold fire on that upgrade for now.

Depending on your circumstances, another option could be to use a good pair of stereo headphones and enable the 3D Audio option on the PS5? You don't have to use the Sony PS5 3D Audio Headset.

Agreed. Especially as the X900H supports 120Hz refresh rate which does require HDMI 2.1 :thumbsup:

I read it that he was confused about how an AVR connects / operates and wanted a very simple explanation of how you connect it up, but yes HDMI 2.1 pass through (or lack of it) does complicate things

For an HDMI 2.0 AVR could use (e)ARC to route the audio from the TV back to the AVR and be able to use the HDMI 2.1 120Hz on the PS5.

If the OP is not bothered about 120Hz refresh rate gaming (yet to be enabled in PS5 firmware) and is happy with 60Hz then connecting the PS5 via an AVR shouldn't be an issue. Recent-ish HDMI 2.0 AVRs can pass through 4K 60Hz HDR reliably.

I believe that the X900H should automatically recognise the AVR and configure the audio output accordingly, although I've read comments on several forums saying that may be unreliable with certain AVRs or SoundBars.

View attachment 1503470
This is awesome. Yes i will be taking advantage of the 120Hz HDMI 2.1 .....The PS5 seems to have its own version of "Surround Sound"however. I might buy the speakers now and just use a cheap-ass AVR until the next gen of 2.1 HDMI AVRs hit the market...so both of your scenerios are very useful !

This is a useful thread, thanks chaps (and any chapesses) :)

With an old AVR (pre HDMI 2.0, even) I'm assuming the option remains the same - PS5 to TV In, then TV Out to AVR?

I'm hoping there would be no issues with lag times!

And to ask a really dumb question...

There are, of course, many snake oil cable sellers.

But HDMI cables are all the same??

With an old AVR (pre HDMI 2.0, even) I'm assuming the option remains the same - PS5 to TV In, then TV Out to AVR?

If your AVR supports ARC (Audio Return Channel) on its TV HDMI Out connection, then in theory yes.

Otherwise Your TV may have an Optical or Coax Digital Audio out that you could connect to your AVR; unlike the PS4 the PS5 does not have any digital audio outputs other than the HDMI port.

Another option is to use an HDMI splitter box (*) with a Digital Audio ouput (likely to be Optical, SP/DIF) if your AVR has an Optical Digital Input.

Note that you may be limited to Dolby 5.1 Surround or even Stereo (5.1 mixed down to Dolby ProLogic if you are lucky) depending on your TV, AVR and/or HDMI splitter box.

(*) It may be more cost effective (and simpler) to replace your AVR.

Mostly.

Older cables may not be rated for 4K resulting in lack of sync (black screen) and/or a distorted picture or lack of sound.

Any budget (£5~£10) HDMI cable that you buy today should be rated for 4K and work perfectly fine, but check the specs; personally I've not had problems using Amazon Basics HDMI cables.

Thanks very much for the reply!

I will do some investigation... :)

No, in that e.g. an HDMI 2.1 cable is higher bandwidth than HDMI 2.0. If your TV has an HDMI 2.1 input make sure you use the HDMI 2.1 cable that came with your PS5 to connect it to the TV.

View attachment 1503421

Hey Marco, I finally got a new AVR...guess what..check the video before Youtube figgers it violates some music rights or whatever.

Hey guys, I am very confused right now about the same original question and I hope someone can help me.

I have a PS5, a Sony XH9005 (HDMI 2.1 on HDMI port No. 3 (eARC) and No. 4) and a Sony BDV-E2100 (HDMI 2.0). I want to have the best audio and video out of it, so I want to be able to use the HDMI 2.1 features. Unfotunately, it seems that this is not going to work. I have connected my PS5 via a HDMI 2.1 cable to the HDMI 2.1 Port (No. 4) on my TV and set this Input to Optimal Format in the TV settings (required to really use HDMI 2.1). This works fine for the video, so I can see 4K@120Hz for example. Then I have connected my AVR to the HDMI (e)ARC Port (No. 3) of my TV.

Now, when I want to set up the audio, I go to the PS5 settings and select AVR as Output Device (the only one available, except of my USB headset), set the channels to 5.1, adjust the postions of the speakers and then I selected Linear PCM. There is no lag with the sound, but I have no real surround sound. I have googled it and read, that ARC is not able to passthrough Linear PCM and convert it from 5.1 to 2.1 channels.

So I changed the PS5 audio settings from Linear PCM to Bitstream (DTS), but then there is a lag. Not much, but I hate it, especially in Shooter Games. When I go to a wall and shoot on it, I can see the bullet hole before the sound comes. I have read, that this is also an issue of ARC in relation with bitstream and it is also not the best sound, right? Linear PCM is better for games, right?

I have struggled with my TV and AVR settings, but it seems, that this is not really working.

I have selected Bitstream (DTS) in the PS5 settings and in the TV settings I have selected to passthrough compressed audio data directly. This is ooook, but not great. I have used these settings for months now, but when the last firmware update of the TV was released, the sound crashes and is metallic (fully unable to play, its just noise). I have to go to the TV settings then and change the Passthorugh mode to another setting and back, then it works like before. That used to happen every time, I started my system(s) and now it happens even when I just change the game. Maybe due to different audio types? Idk.

Can someone help me with this? Are my information right about Linear PCM and Bitstream in relations with ARC? What do I have to do (buy :D) to get the best sound and full HDMI 2.1 support? Since there is no Optical output on the PS5 anymore, I think it is a HDMI 2.1 AVR, right? Any recommendations? :D

Last edited:
Hey guys, I am very confused right now about the same original question and I hope someone can help me.

I have a PS5, a Sony XH9005 (HDMI 2.1 on HDMI port No. 3 (eARC) and No. 4) and a Sony BDV-E2100 (HDMI 2.0). I want to have the best audio and video out of it, so I want to be able to use the HDMI 2.1 features. Unfotunately, it seems that this is not going to work. I have connected my PS5 via a HDMI 2.1 cable to the HDMI 2.1 Port (No. 4) on my TV and set this Input to Optimal Format in the TV settings (required to really use HDMI 2.1). This works fine for the video, so I can see 4K@120Hz for example. Then I have connected my AVR to the HDMI (e)ARC Port (No. 3) of my TV.

Now, when I want to set up the audio, I go to the PS5 settings and select AVR as Output Device (the only one available, except of my USB headset), set the channels to 5.1, adjust the postions of the speakers and then I selected Linear PCM. There is no lag with the sound, but I have no real surround sound. I have googled it and read, that ARC is not able to passthrough Linear PCM and convert it from 5.1 to 2.1 channels.

So I changed the PS5 audio settings from Linear PCM to Bitstream (DTS), but then there is a lag. Not much, but I hate it, especially in Shooter Games. When I go to a wall and shoot on it, I can see the bullet hole before the sound comes. I have read, that this is also an issue of ARC in relation with bitstream and it is also not the best sound, right? Linear PCM is better for games, right?

I have struggled with my TV and AVR settings, but it seems, that this is not really working.

I have selected Bitstream (DTS) in the PS5 settings and in the TV settings I have selected to passthrough compressed audio data directly. This is ooook, but not great. I have used these settings for months now, but when the last firmware update of the TV was released, the sound crashes and is metallic (fully unable to play, its just noise). I have to go to the TV settings then and change the Passthorugh mode to another setting and back, then it works like before. That used to happen every time, I started my system(s) and now it happens even when I just change the game. Maybe due to different audio types? Idk.

Can someone help me with this? Are my information right about Linear PCM and Bitstream in relations with ARC? What do I have to do (buy :D) to get the best sound and full HDMI 2.1 support? Since there is no Optical output on the PS5 anymore, I think it is a HDMI 2.1 AVR, right? Any recommendations? :D
It's because your audio device is only ARC and not eARC right?

Normal ARC can passthrough 5.1 DD and 5.1 DTS as well as 2.0 PCM, eARC can passthrough lossless audio formats.

You could look into getting a hdmi to digital optical audio splitter. This would allow you to use 5.1 Dolby digital/DTS whilst still getting either 4k 60hz or 1080p 120hz.

It's because your audio device is only ARC and not eARC right?

Normal ARC can passthrough 5.1 DD and 5.1 DTS as well as 2.0 PCM, eARC can passthrough lossless audio formats.

You could look into getting a hdmi to digital optical audio splitter. This would allow you to use 5.1 Dolby digital/DTS whilst still getting either 4k 60hz or 1080p 120hz.

Hi, Thank you very much for your reply. I already have HDMI-to-digital-optical-audio-splitter from Astro. But like you already said, I only have 4K@60Hz the, so no HDMI 2.1-Features.

I will look for some AVRs with eARC or/and HDMI2.1 then.

Edit:
What about a n optical-digital-audio(toslink)-connection from my TV to my AVR? I know that I will not have the HD sound formats, but I should have good surround sound by nearly no lag, right?

Last edited:
Hi, Thank you very much for your reply. I already have HDMI-to-digital-optical-audio-splitter from Astro. But like you already said, I only have 4K@60Hz the, so no HDMI 2.1-Features.

I will look for some AVRs with eARC or/and HDMI2.1 then.

Edit:
What about a n optical-digital-audio(toslink)-connection from my TV to my AVR? I know that I will not have the HD sound formats, but I should have good surround sound by nearly no lag, right?
You can try but I have found that TVs passing through a PS4 and/or PS5 5.1 DTS/Dolby Digital signal from hdmi to digital optical out introduce input lag I am afraid.

If I were you I would go for 4K 60hz HDR for now and at least get 5.1 DTS/Dolby sound working with no lag?

I have an Onkyo HT-S7805 system with HDMI 2.0, support for LPMC, PCM, Atmos, DTS X and more.
Amazon product ASIN B01ESTB1BK
I use eARC, I want to have it plugged in directly for the best picture (PS5).
I have my Playstation 5 connected with an HDMI certified HDMI 2.1 cable to the HDMI 2.1 port on the TV (port 4). It supports VRR, no lag, it's prime.
TV Sony XH90 board.
Amazon product ASIN B084KQLVFH
TV support HDMI 2.1 and VRR, passtrough forwarded audio unchanged.
Please advise how to set the correct audio output from the PS5 console?
PS5 I have set the output device TV, PCM linerar (untouched sound).
AVR Onkyo show Dolby D+ 5.1 and DD Sur.
If I change to AVR System and PCM linerar the Onkyo will only show PCM 2.0.

If I change, yes I can set the AVR System output, this opens the possibility to select 7.1 sound, but I can only use DTS.
The second option is wrong, Dolby makes me crackle I can't use.
DTS mode shows the Onkyo AVR as DTS 5.1.
But I've read that it's probably a certain compression of the sound and there is sometimes a delay, yes?

Please tell me which option is better?

PS5 output set in the console:
1.TV and PCM out... and Onkyo show Dolby D+ 5.1 and DD Sur.
2.AVR and DTS out.. and Onkyo AVR as DTS 5.1

I can't choose, please help :)

I have an Onkyo HT-S7805 system with HDMI 2.0, support for LPMC, PCM, Atmos, DTS X and more.

I use eARC, I want to have it plugged in directly for the best picture (PS5).
I have my Playstation 5 connected with an HDMI certified HDMI 2.1 cable to the HDMI 2.1 port on the TV (port 4). It supports VRR, no lag, it's prime.
TV Sony XH90 board.

Please tell me which option is better?
PS5 output set in the console:
1.TV and PCM out... and Onkyo show Dolby D+ 5.1 and DD Sur.
2.AVR and DTS out.. and Onkyo AVR as DTS 5.1

I can't choose, please help :)

From reading the tech specs for your Onkyo HT-S7805 AVR, it appears that although it supports ARC (Audio Return Channel), it does not support eARC (enhanced Audio Return Channel).

So although your SONY XH90 TV does support eARC, unfortunately your receiver doesn't and both devices need to have eARC support for it to work.

What is eARC and how is it different from ARC?
  • ARC only supports 2 channel Linear PCM or lossy 5.1 Dolby Digital or lossy 5.1 DTS.
  • eARC supports upto 7 channel Linear PCM, DolbyDigital TrueHD and DTS TrueHD
You could connect your PS5 to your AVR and the AVR to your TV which would give allow you to have full 7 channel uncompressed lossless audio with minimal audio delay (lag). However, as your AVR is HDMI 2.0, it does not support HDMI pass-through features such 120Hz Display or VRR which require HDMI 2.1

You could wait and hope that Onkyo decide to release a firmware update for your AVR to enable eARC, or you may want to consider replacing your AVR with one that does support eARC.

Unfortunately HDMI ARC (and eARC) implementations from different manufacturers (SONY vs Onkyo) and sometimes different model ranges from the same manufacturer can be unreliable / buggy, so it may be down to luck as to what devices will work reliably without audio distortion / delay / crackling noises.

The SONY DH790 should work OK with your TV and your PS5.

It does support eARC, but unfortunaly does not support HDMI 2.1 pass-through - perhaps wait to see if SONY announce a new range of AVRs in January 2022 at CES?

I use a SONY STR-DN1080 (now sadly unavailable, replacement model may be announced in Jan 2022 ????) with my PS5 and SONY W905 TV which works OK, although I don't use ARC and connect my PS5 to my AVR and the AVR to the TV; the TV doesn't support 120Hz or VRR, maybe next year I'll upgrade to a 4K 120Hz OLED...

Good luck.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. I get information about the sound if I have set PCM, uncompressed sound so it plays really surround. I will wait and maybe replace the AVR unit eventually.
I have read other information. My Onkyo is interesting that it can receive Dolby Atmos sound from the TV via eARC to ARC and shows it correctly. Good are the AVR Denon for gaming. Just have to wait, they have a cut throat (40Gb/s) signal stream and only one 8K port.
I'll wait until they have more 8K ports.

Its crazy edit info....
If I disconnect the hdmi cable and connect directly to the AVR system, I have a different problem. I need to switch the channel from TV (ARC function) to BD/DVD in the AVR system. The AVR system sends the signal to the HDMI 3 port (works like eARC hdmi 2.1). I can watch a movie with the Zidoo player and it works fine. The synchronization between the TV and the Onkyo AVR system breaks. Later, when I turn it back on and switch to hdmi 2, where I have a pc, the sound no longer works. HDMI 4 (hdmi 2.1) where the PS5 console is Sync is lost and sound does not work. I have to turn off the tv and system avr later, disconnect everything from the electrical site. Turn it back on, reconnect hdmi port 3 to get sync. If I leave everything plugged in, it doesn't work and has to repeat again.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom