1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How, exactly, do ID3 tags, etc, work?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by shadowritten, Aug 6, 2005.

1. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One for you technical bods. I know what tags DO, just not where they're stored in the file or how they work. I'm sure I've heard that different types of tags (i.e, earlier and later versions) can co-exist on MP3s etc. Is this true, and if so, does it add bits to the overall file size?

Also, what happens to tags - multiple versions on a single track or not - when you convert them to ATRAC3Plus? Do they get rewritten in some format of Sony's own devising, or does ATRAC3Plus also use the same tags? And, if this is so, what happens to any used tags living on an MP3 track after it's been converted?

Sorry for so many questions. I'm just really curious to expand my knowledge. :confused:

2. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,957
    There's some interesting reading here for a quick overview.

3. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers, John - much appreciated!

4. MalcolmSex

MalcolmSex
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you open an Mp3 file with a text editor (eg. wordpad) the file just looks like loads or random characters apart from the begining part which contains the id3 information separated by loads of boxes.

5. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good tip - cheers! I'll take a look ...

6. hb1966

hb1966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For info on tags look at www.id3.org

For a good prog to manipulate tags look at ID3-tag for the latest version to work you will also need to follow the link to MSDN for framework 1.1.