How essential is Pronto docking Station?

N

NickBull

Is there any point getting a Pronto without it? How heavy on batteries is it?

Its not essential, as at the end of the day, its just a fancy battery recharger!

Heavy on batteries?

Well it doesn't use batteries.....

Originally posted by mjn
Its not essential, as at the end of the day, its just a fancy battery recharger!

Heavy on batteries?

Well it doesn't use batteries.....

Think he means the Pronto heavy on batteries!
No idea as I've always had the docking station.

Requires a couple of hours charging every month for me.

Well that, explains it all! :)

The use on batteries is the same, but the battery level indicator on the pronto doesn't work with the battery packs. It either shows 25% or 50% charged, never 0% or 100%.

Final question, I am tempted. Just how good are they? Pronto's that is, not the docking station.

I think I'll leave that, just seen the pronto web site and batteries last 6 months, not too bad really and it only takes 4. My sony thing takes 8 and lasts a year so it's no different!

Had mine for about 15 months now. The basic setup they give you, is ok, but where the pronto comes into its own, as i'm sure you're aware, is the ability to customise all the screens.

Prontoedit, the software used for this, can be quick tricky to use at first, has a steep learning curve, but some great results can be had.

Along with unlimited macros, devices, your only real limit is the 2mb of nvram it has.

Thganks for the info. I am 99% there on my desision to buy. £150 is steep for a remote but I'm fed up of having so many remotes on the table in the HC room.

Thanks

Nick

It's proberly the best £150 u will spend in HC terms!

Just going from 8 remotes to 1 remote, and even the missus can use it aswell!!

All she says is, "i want button that does xyz" a quick 5 mins on pronto edit, and viola!

Missus is happy, and doesn't care you've spent £150 on a gadget!

I was in two minds about the docking station. In the end I bought a Nimh battery charger from Argos with 4 AA cells included for about £15. I recharge overnight every couple of months.

Programming it properly is not for the faint hearted, but if you persevere then it can be fantastic.
I still haven't built my proper custom screens, partly due to laziness and partly due to buying a Tivo and then swapping ITV-Digital for Cable.

Nigel

I dithered and dithered until I finally decided to part with £150 on my Pronto.

Don't regret it one bit!

I just couldn't imagine life without it!

Go for it!

Just a quick ? Can you still link the Pronto up to a PC with a cable or something if you haven't opted for the cradle? I want to be able to download new templates etc.

Yes you can link the pronto directly to the pc, the docking station is just a battery charger and somewhere to stick your pronto.

BTW the docking station melted my pronto :(

Oh my head hurts, thats the first thing you will say after owning the Pronto for a couple of days :D dont let me put you off, its great, it just takes some getting use to using prontoedit.
I have had mine for about 18 months now and I am still altering the screens, its capabillities are endless, I got Sky last week, thats my latest headache setting all the screens for the sky channels, theres just to many channels to set with bitmaps, it would take forever.
I only have the 1mb model and it is no where near full, so the 2mb should be more than enough.
The Pronto looks great on the docking station, but its not cheap, and I always seam to have to remove and refit the battery before recharging or it will not recharge,I do get 100% after recharging though, has anyone else had this problem?

Originally posted by Timh
I always seam to have to remove and refit the battery before recharging or it will not recharge,I do get 100% after recharging though, has anyone else had this problem?

Seems to be a common problem this. Can't say I've had to do it for a while now, but I used to have to do it every time before charging.

I also do not leave my Pronto on the charger as it's too easy to over charge the battery, thus reducing it's life (or like JWS having it go into Global meltdown :D )

Originally posted by alanrob
I also do not leave my Pronto on the charger as it's too easy to over charge the battery, thus reducing it's life (or like JWS having it go into Global meltdown :D )
I also do not leave the battery on charge to long, but I thought the Nimh battery which comes with the docking station could not be overcharge, and can be left charging all the time :confused:

Are you using prontoedit4? since I down loaded this I have to reset my pronto before downloading my latest configeration :confused:

Originally posted by Timh

I also do not leave the battery on charge to long, but I thought the Nimh battery which comes with the docking station could not be overcharge, and can be left charging all the time :confused:

Are you using prontoedit4? since I down loaded this I have to reset my pronto before downloading my latest configeration :confused:

Might be true with the battery, but better not take the chance.
I just know that the instruction I have for my portable MP3 players battery says not to over charge it as it reduces the life of the battery. Also say the same for my cordless drill battery.

As for Prontoedit 4 - tried using it, but for some reason XP doesn't like it.

Originally posted by alanrob

Might be true with the battery, but better not take the chance.
I just know that the instruction I have for my portable MP3 players battery says not to over charge it as it reduces the life of the battery. Also say the same for my cordless drill battery

I have checked the manual and there is no comment made about overcharging, it just states it will be fully charged from flat after 2 to 3 hours, and can be charged from 800 to 1000 times.
I know normal Nickad batterys can be overcharged, these are usually fitted to cordless drills, but my camcorder uses a infolithium Li-on battery which cannot be overcharged and you can charge it when you like even if it is only half drained.

If you put the pronto on to charge, and the battery doesn't charge, the docking station stops charging the battery after about 2 minutes.

Dont bother with the charger, I got my Pronto at Xmas and the first set of batteries have just run out.

You can by an awful lot of batteries for £45.

It will be the best £150 you have ever spent. I bought one two years ago when it cost £300 and I think it's the best £300 I have ever spent on AV gear. I have the charger and don't regret getting it. Batteries cost quite a bit these days and I would have thought I would be well on the way to paying the cost of the charger by now if I had opted for batteries. Don't be put off by people saying it's a long learning curve. It is, but it's good fun as well. You get a real sense of achievement when you have created your own personal look for your Pronto. You can also download designs on remotecentral.com. That's what I did and then simply adapted the design to suit my own needs.

As a result we have now got a couple of shoeboxes containing 14 obsolete remotes. :D

Buy it and enjoy.

I have it on order, I have all but been persuaded to get the docking station too. Reading on Remotecentral that it's handy if you like to keep it back lit constantly. For £40 I guess it's only like 10 sets of duracels.

Hopefully get it at the weekend then the fun begins. I have been imporessed by remote central site and the customisation some people have done. Being a lazy git I'll probably pic a suitable sceme and modify it for my own use.

Thanks all

Nick

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom