How easy is it to install SqueezeCenter on a TS109

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by BadgerB, Feb 4, 2009.

1. BadgerB

BadgerB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi

I am considering buying a NAS primarily to store and stream our music collection via a SB Duet system. Secordary purpose is to replace an old Buffalo NAS which acts as file server and backup to 5 Windows XP pcs.
    SqueezeCenter currently runs on one of the PC's and leaving this ON is a pain and wastes power.

The QNAP TS-109 II seems quite cost effective and the price for a 1 GB model from Scan computers is £180 inc vat Qnap TS-109 II - Powerful 12in1 NAS Server for SATA H/D inc Gigabit Lan 3xUSB, 1xeSata, Alarm, 256Mb - Scan.co.uk. Buying same hw with squeezecenter installed via Ripcaster is £370.

The questions are:
    1) how easy is it to install SqueezeCenter on a TS109? (it is a few years since I played with Linux)
    2) where is the latest and best set of instructions for doing this?
    3) is there any special advantage to using a TS 109 II Plus ?
    4) can install be done remotely i(son is a final year Msc computer science student in warwick) if we open up a VPN through routers.

thanks
    BB

2. gordon99

gordon99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  3. BadgerB

BadgerB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    It is a good point about the HDD being included or not, I have looked very hard at Scan's web pages and I believe it is incl - will find out 2mrw because the unit should be delivered:smashin:

I realise that the HDD maker is not specified and it could be one of about 5 makers. I have been buying IDE and then SATA HDDs for the last 15 years and my main concern in this application is reliability (access time and read/write speed is less important to me in these applications because our audio collection is not so large ( <200 albums ).

The trouble is that I don't know which make currently has the best MTBF figures and I don't think this data is published. Over the years I have had good and bad expereinces with all the manufactures including Samsung, WD, IBM/Hitachi !

Which would you buy!

BB

4. lfcfan_uk

lfcfan_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    get the 209II hard drives go wrong so mirror and backup a lot :)

5. BadgerB

BadgerB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks for that. I had a look at the WD site - impressive info though I did not see much hard data on MTBF.

I am now considering getting a dual drive box and setting up with RAID1. Anyone have a view on relative merits of Netgear ReadyNAS Duo vs the QNAP 209 for running SqueezeCenter?

6. sony007

sony007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I was thinking about getting a Qnap TS-109 Pro II case and a hd separately but I just need to a few things.

I'm I right in thinking that the Qnap connect to your wireless router making it possible transfer data wirelessly to pc's around the house?

If that is the case can anyone confirm just how fast transferring data wirelessly this case with a decent 7200 hd install is - STREAMING HI DEF MOVIES / TRANSFERRING LARGE FILES.

Would it be an idea to just get a Western Digital Elements 1TB USB 2.0 as the transfer rate on the Qnap is far from satisfying and it just looks good?

Is there any other external network hard drives under £150 worth taking into account that will allow streaming comfortably?

7. t72bogie

t72bogie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +532
    the speed of the hard disk wont be a bottleneck in a low end NAS like that, its the speed of the CPU/RAM needed to put data on the wire

there are many, many threads on this and each time I recommend people read the NAS charts/reviews at SmallNetBuilder - Small Network Help - Home - there is also a good buyers guide :smashin: