Question How does YPAO work for SUB crossover?

BarKohba

Hello,

I've recently got a Yamaha 803D Reciever with sone Yamaha B750 bookshelf speakers.

I'm going to get as subwoofer - the Yamaha SW700 (mainly because of compatibility and system visual and tonal consistency reasons, as right now I love how the speakers sound) - but I've got a question, which is mainly for people faimiliar with Yamaha's YPAO calibration.

As the speakers are connected to the speaker out connections, and the Sub has a separate mono connection, I ASSUME that when I set the high cut setting on the Subwoofer (let's say I set it at 100hz), there is no way for the receiver to know not to send signals up to that frequency to the front speakers (they still go all the way down to 60hz). And there are no settings on the receiver to set a cross over of any kind for the speakers.

My question is - when using YPAO, and setting the frequency cut on the sub all the way to the max (as the 803D manual specify), does this mean that after the setups is done, the receiver alters the frequency range sent to the speakers, to say, close to or above the high cut set on the subwoofer?

Or does the receiver still sends ALL of the frequency range to the front speakers still? Because from my understanding, generally, an advantage of getting a sub is that it "frees" up work for the main speakers, which would mean that if I set the high cut on the Subs to say 150hz, the receiver (through YPAO in this case) -should- know not ot send anything below 150hz to the speakers so that they can deal with everything above that, and not parallel the sub.

David Hillman

FYI, I tried YPAO on several of my Yamaha devices, including two that were 2.1 setups. It didn't work in either case, and in fact, it disabled the sub output completely. I had to do a factory reset to restore it.

Like all Yamaha software, YPAO is buggy, and apparently untested.

larkone

Distinguished Member

Its not untested - they just rely on their customers to do it............ and then ignore you

BarKohba

FYI, I tried YPAO on several of my Yamaha devices, including two that were 2.1 setups. It didn't work in either case, and in fact, it disabled the sub output completely. I had to do a factory reset to restore it.

Hey, finally got the complete setup with SUB - YPAO works great!

How come it disabled the sub output? Did you have it enabled in the YPAO settings in the MusiCast App? For me it works perfectly - for my speakers that go down to 60hz, I set the crossover at about 90hz, set the speakers to low cut, and it works really good.

I'm having a hard time choosing between Pure Direct and the room correcting YPAO setting (but with the customized equalizer and "YPAO volume" turned off).

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom