1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How does upscalling work?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by hamd01, Jul 1, 2005.

1. hamd01

hamd01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    I have bought a Samsung 850 DVD player for my Sammy 32" LCD, and I have read lots about how the upscalling will delivery an imporved picture.

Could anyone point me in the direction of an article or thread which describes exactly how this process works?

Cheers

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Well, the "proof of the pudding is in the eating" so they say so it is perhaps best to remain blissfully ignorant of the gory detail (like me) and simply feast on the results.

However, there is a common misconception that upscaling in the DVD player will automatically give a better picture. It may do, but it's not guaranteed. It all depends whether the scaler in the player is better than the scaler in the display. If you've spent a few K on a display device, and a hundred quid on a DVD player, it kinda suggests the scaler in the display may be better.

...PJ :)

3. hamd01

hamd01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    But what I really want to know, is whats going on when the player upscales? What is it doing...someone must know.

4. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    Upscaling is where they take pixels and work out the relative difference between them in terms of colour and brightness (interpolation) then stick in a fake pixel in between them. So you could say it's a fudge, but it does give the impression of a higher resolution picture than what you started with. Though a high res picture in the first place is of course more accurate. You can't get something from nothing, you can only guess.

Regards

Mark

5. plasma newb

plasma newb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ,

ive also been looking at these upscaling dvd players to go with my plasma.
    just wondering how good the picture quality improvement is ,does it resemble
    hd quality.Also my plasma's res is 852*480 does anyone know if this would
    still be compatable and would i notice an improvement or do i need a hd tv.
    Im new to all this so any info is appreciated

6. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    There'a a specific forum "video scalers, video processing and progressive scan" - that may be a better bet for this question...PJ :)