How does this sound?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Pezerinno, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    It's supposed to be a budget orientated. It will be in a fairly small room

Sharp LC-26GA4E TV (already bought)
    Denon 1910 DVD player (already bought)
    Thomson DHD-4000 freeview PVR (already bought)
    Yahama 750SE Amp
    Mordaunt-Short Genie 5.1 speakers

If you don't need a radio is there any point in spending more on an amp as I can't help but feel I'm paying for something I won't use. Also I was thinking about getting the Yahama Amp from a German online store to save some money - would there be a problem doing this?

Thanks.

2. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    If you want to save some money pick up your amp (and possibly speakers too) second hand or you could spend the same amount of money and get something better.

Yes, I realise I'm like a broken record, but I wish someone had pointed this out to me when I first got into this stuff.

3. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I'm interested in getting my amp and speakers second hand but can't really find anything. My original budget for the amp and speakers was £1000.

4. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    An import from germany of the Yammy and some cantons might do you well, see the thread on the import the Cantons and the Yamha respectively.

You get a radio tuner in the german one too (not important to you, but more features for less money has to be good)

I think you should be able to stay within your £1000 budget without any problems and probably have some change depending on which speakers you go for.

5. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Oh I forgot to mention that it needs to be a small speaker set. What are the cantons like?

6. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    The are a German make, most of there stuff seems to come in a aluminium finish (at least what i've seen), they are extremely cheap from Germany, sometimes half the shop price over here, and people seem to be very pleased. You could push the boat out on the speakers considering you would get the yamaha for so cheap. The cantons come in various sizes from sub sat to floorstanders. Personaly I don't think they have the style of the genies but looks are a fleeting thing, and you'd get used to them as long as they didn't scare you when you turn the lights on :D . I'm not saying there ugly, just that MS have raised the bar.