1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Notice: AVForums will be offline at 10pm for no longer than 30 minutes for scheduled maintenance. Apologies for any inconvenience this causes.
    Dismiss Notice

How does the white screen wipe work on the pd5200's ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by hustler, Sep 12, 2004.

1. hustler

hustler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just been playing about with one in curry's and it has a screen wipe option which basically wipes the screen white.....you can set it to do it every 60 mins etc.....is this to stop burning and does it actually work ?

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I think it essentially works by burning all the phosphors by the same amount thereby getting rid of any screen burn from static images. As to whether it works in practice I don't know.

I've had an Hitachi plasma for over 12 months now and never had a problem with screen burn nor do I expect to. Mine get used with Sky (so lots of static logos), XBOX, PS2 and PC and any 'burn' has been temporary and has disapperaed after a couple of minutes of normal TV viewing.

IMO, you'd have to leave a static image for a very long time to do any permanent damage.

John