How does the Sony G70 compare?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by RxRacer, Mar 15, 2006.

1. RxRacer

RxRacer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This might sound dumb to you experienced CRT owners, but i found a well priced G70 and I'm not sure if I should buy that, or my initial choice of a TX200/Z4/AE900?

From what I can gather, most decent CRT projector produce higher quality images than DLP/LCD. I get the feeling the G70 is better, but it looks to be a few years old now so I'm wondering if even the entry level pj's like the TX200/Z4 have surpassed it technologically. <--- Thats the bit you'll prolly laugh at.

I get the feeling that even though the TX200/AE900/Z4 are highly rated, they're still behind the older g70. I dont trust my knowledge at this point though, so any advice will be appreciated.

G70 or TX200/Z4/AE900?

2. 008

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I have a well set up G70 which you are welcome to view. From the digitals I have seen you will need to spend upwards of 5k to get anywhare near G70 quality of image. In general you will find DLP etc sharper but CRT is way superior for black levels.
    If you have a light controlled room and watch mainly movies then definately go for the 70, if you want to watch sports with your mates with ambient light then go for the digital.

Regards

Lee

3. Mad Mr H

Mad Mr H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    A few basic checks on the G70 would help you as well.....

How many hours on the set?

Tube condition?

Get seller to remove the lenses and take a picture close up of each tube, with and with out flash.

Badly burnt tubes and its not worth much.

The G70 is an excellent projector.

old - yes most CRT's will be, my 1209s (Barco 9" guns) is 8 years old - I would like to see an 8 year old dlp/lcd that has 20,000 + hours on it still running - OH and good colour :D

4. JaniH

JaniH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yes, they are quite a bit behind the G70. Optoma H79 and other 720p dlp's would be roughly in the same class as G70. I think personal preferences would determine which one is better as each has its pros and cons.

5. mediamogul

mediamogul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Not even on the same planet as a G70 imho.

6. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,447
    I'd tend to agree with Jani too. Both have pros and cons and when properly set up will perform well (properly being the operative word). I'd tend to give the G70 the edge for overall performance though.

Gary