1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How does the Philips Pixel Plus 36" compare to the Sony KV36FS70?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Jon Weaver, Jul 14, 2002.

1. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +639
    I have had yet another Sony KV36FS70 delivered (directly from Sony) and it has yet another fault. I have a green line from top to bottom of the screen and a green patch on the top left..

Apparantly, Sony built a bad batch last week and i should have never got this one!

Sony are bringing me another, but I am fed up as I have no confidence in the product!

I am now tempted to ask (tell) John Lewis to give me a credit and let me choose something else.

Is the new Philips a good choice? How does it compare to the Sony?

ANY info would be appreciated

Jon

2. Bal

Bal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +186
    Can only go by what I've read and that is Philips pixel+ knocks the socks off Sony's DRC MF.

I can however comment on Sony's bad quality control - I gave up trying to get a decent Sony KP44PS2 after the third attempt and will in all likelihood will never buy Sony again even after being a staunch advocate of their brand name for many years.

Bal

3. Mr_P

Mr_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    Have your FS70 sets had the scrolling bars?

I take it you want to keep to a 36" set?

I am in the same position as you, however I have already had my FS70 refunded. Currently looking at the Loewe Aconda and Articos, however these are only 32" sets.

I thinks the Phillips 36" pixel plus set may come with the panasonic tube and you are therefore not guaranteed a phillips tube which in my opinion, all of these sets should come with in the first place.

Plus you will be paying for the integrated dolby digital that comes with the Philips, I would rather run my own amp and speakers. I know you could still do this with the Philips but I would rather pay for a top notch tv in the visual stakes, the sound I can take care of myself.

I think from reading the posts on the pixel plus, opinion is divided, probably better to have a good demo and see what you think yourself. I think all tv's have their problems and if you could get this set with a Phillips tube(is this possible?), then you may eliminate some of the problems people have had with this set.

Let me know how you get on.....

4. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Jon,

Although I can't comment on the 9607 in particular, I can say something about pixel plus technology in general as I own a 32" 9617. 99% of people will not see a better picture when watching DVDs in Pixel Plus compared to conventional 100Hz or 50Hz. Normal TV pictures are also enhanced, however poor digital feeds tend to be massacred by the technology causing halo ripples around moving objects. imho, it hardly ever gets too bad to watch, but any problems introduced by Pixel Plus and Digital Natural Motion on bad sources can quickly be cured by switching to either pure 100Hz mode or 50Hz Double Lines Mode. When viewing the TV in store remember how poorly they are set up and try and make sure you are given the remote to play with the settings... even take a favourite DVD to try out.

The service menu is comprehensive and easy to navigate, and although this may not be of interest to you, many rate the integrated Dolby Digital highly.

From personal experience Philips quality control is far better than other major manufacturers. My monitor is a good example; I went through 8 different monitors (4 of the same type) before I finally took the plunge and bought the Philips which was perfect first time. What shocked me was that it was Philips' implementation of the Sony tube inside that was better than the manufacturer's own!

It is going to be a while before you see a 36" Philips Tube as they have only just begun production as far as I am aware, the ones currently being made are destined for Korea and the U.S.A... we'll have to wait a little longer.

Best of luck with your exchange.;)

5. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    Thanks for the feedback.

I still want a 36" model... I too like the Loewe, but I want a 36".. I looked at the 32" models and don't want to 'down size'.

I after buying a few non-Sony TVs (JVC and Panasonic), I always vowed that I would never by a non-Sony again..

I am worried that if I buy a Philips, I might make the same mistake again.

However, I have had so many problems with my Sony, I just don't have the patience any more.

In total, I have had 9 FS70s, from several suppliers.

my first one (Empire Direct) Was fine, but developed a fault after 6 months.. It had to go back and was dropped by the couriers.

I then had a replacement, but it was 2nd hand quality (finger prints all over)

I then had another and it too was covered in fingerprints..

Finally, I got a refund and went to John Lewis.

The first one had the same 2nd hand condition (fingerprints)

The 2nd one also did, but I decided to live with it.. But 24 hours later, the power light blinked and wouldn't switch on.

I got another replacement, but this had something wrong (can't remember what)

Sony got involved and offered to swap it with a "hand setup" model.. This did this, but the geometry was REALLY bad (and this was supposidly setup by an engineer, instead of normal automatic process)

They bought out another replacemenet and this has the vercitical green line...

Is that nine?? If not, I have probably missed a few out in my story..

Perhaps I am beeing too fussy, but after spending £2000, I expect near perfection.

Its not that I don't like the FS70, its just that I have had so many problems, that I have lost patience.

Looks like I had better get a demo of the Philips...

Thanks again.

6. btuckey

btuckey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    '99% of people will not see a better picture when watching DVDs in Pixel Plus compared to conventional 100Hz or 50Hz. Normal TV pictures are also enhanced, however....'

Am I reading this right, RCT? Do you mean that normal TV is enhanced by Pixel+ but DVDs are not?

7. beavis

beavis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a 36" 9607 and it's a fantastic tv, well recommended and no problems seen so far. The sound is also great for an intergrated solution, see my previous posts for more info and a review!

Good luck.

Beavis.

8. Matthew Attoe

Matthew Attoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    btuckey,

pixel+ works on ALL signals, including dvd. Honest.

I can definitely see the difference with dvds.

Matthew

9. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Me thinks I should read my posts back to myself before posting! What I meant was that for 99% of people.... a Pixel Plus DVD image is superior to conventional CRT images. i.e. Pixel+ is best!! Sorry for any confusion.

10. highlanders

highlanders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Have a look at the Toshiba 36ZD26p

11. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    I have done already and IMHO the Tosh doesn't compare to the Sony.

After my 2nd replacement, I looked for a new set.. The Tosh was top of my list, but in no way did it compare to my Sony (Although, it might have been more reliable)

What worries me is that I might get the Philips (or any TV) and compare it to the Sony and never be happy...

THank for the input

12. highlanders

highlanders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    If you are determined stick with the Sony, make them (suppler) get it right stating past history. You’ll probably look at your non Sony TV and say I wish I stuck out for the one I wanted.

13. AV ADDICT

AV ADDICT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the maket foa new 36'' tv and have seen the Philip and Sony. I must say that on all occasions I found that the Philips appeared over pixellated. Is this merely a result of the poor set-up in shops? Conversely I have found the Sony to have a great picture. I have read your articles and now feel worried about the Sony, does anyone feel that the Philips or the new Tosh would be better in the long run?

Please exercise the demons!

KV

14. Billy Hunt

Billy Hunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    I have a Philips 36PW9525 I have to say you need to spend a time setting it up. There are so many options 100 Hz, digital scan, natural motion, then you have the active controls which effect sharpness, dynamic contrast + contrast, colour, noise reduction or you can alter each individually of each other.
    But once set up the picture is amazing absolutely anybody who sees it is amazed at the picture.
    I also find different settings work better for different sources if you get it wrong it can look very pixeled but I've had it since it first came out a few years ago so I pretty much know what settings to use for what source or failing that just have a play around.
    Philips would definitely be the first TV I look at next time round