how does the dvd recorder choose?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by noidea, Jun 18, 2004.

1. noidea

noidea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    I am about to finally decide on my connections (and then bury cables in wall) but I've hit a stumbling block.

I have a digital cable box that will connect to the plasma screen through an RGB scart and to the DVD recorder through a composite scart connection. The dvd recorder will connect to the screen with a component connection.

I'm also planning to use the other scart input on the dvd recorder to connect a VCR to it.

My question is, when I select on the screen the channel that shows the signal from the dvd recorder, how will the dvd recorder choose whether to show the input from the vcr or from the cable box???

Please help a novice buried under manuals and cables :lease:

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I am not sure that is the best way to connect everything up as you are feeding the DVD Recorder with a poor quality composite signal which you will then be replaying via better quality component connections.

It would be easier to advise if you could tell us exactly what equipment you have so that we can think about the optimum connections.

3. noidea

noidea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    thanks!

I have

Hitachi pd5200 with 2xcomponent input and 1xrgb scart input

JVC DRM 10 dvd recorder with 1xcomponent output and 2 scart sockets - the in/out scart does rgb out and/or s-video/video in.
    the other in/decoder scart can take s-video/video/decoder inputs

The pace telewest box has an rgb scart output and a composite scart output

Finally I have an old VCR that can be ditched. but if it can find a place in the set-up it is more than welcome!

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I'm afraid that I am stuck already :rolleyes:

Equipment can be daisychained and in my own non plasma setup I have the RGB output of the Digibox going into the DVD and out again into the only RGB enabled scart socket on my TV. On my system the digibox signal will be shown on the screen until the DVD player is switched on which then automatically over rides the digibox.

I don't know whether you can connect your Digibox to the DVD Recorder by RGB scart to make recordings off satellite which is then daisychained onwards to the TV via the component outputs. If you can do that it leaves the scart socket on your plasma free for the VCR.

Hopefully Joe Fernand or one of the other connection experts will spot this thread and give a definitive answer but if you already have the necessary connectors you can at least try out my method.

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I have looked at the specs on your DVDR and it can only accept s-video or composite signals to record from. This may be acceptable if you have a Sky Plus box that will output s-video but is no use at all for the more conventional sat boxes.

It would be interesting to know what the main use of your DVDR is going to be. If you use it a lot for time shifting from the digibox I would suggest that you give consideration to selling it and replacing it with a different model that will accept an RGB signal and therefore will give you much better recordings.

If you don't use it much as a recorder you may just have to put up with it's recording limitations if it's playback of prerecorded DVDs is better than the competitors for the price range.

6. noidea

noidea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    thanks for the help guys. will let you know if I come up with a solution, but if anyone else has any ideas I'm all ears