How does the Cinema 1x12 and the Klipsch R115 compare?

JonasCarlsson

Established Member
Reaction score
My main listening and viewing room is some 3.7 x 5.5 metres, 2.5 something high. But to make matters worse it's wooden walls, wooden floor and wooden ceiling. It does feature a panoramic window to one side though and then there's a fairly standard window about to be blocked off.

Now this being a wooden room rules out DF and I could basically use as much push as there are stars in the sky, the room being prone to compress quite heavily, even with some acoustic treatment used.

Thus my plan is going w. more slammy and less rumbly subs (if that makes sense), or perhaps even just the one sub, space being somewhat ample but slightly restricted to position two subs ideally or otherwise symmetrically in the room.

Never tried either brand, although some features of my Jamos are similar or identical to the corresponding Klipsch subs. The XTZ seems to offer more tweakability, a more even response and a cleaner representation. In my book qualities I appreciate highly - under normal circumstances, at least.

The Klipsch on the other hand seem to hit harder. But on the down side the Klipsch is quite peaky at around 70Hz which may work against the in-room acoustic properties. I'll explain below:

My room having a node at 90Hz at present I'm experimenting with rolling back on the x-over of the sub to 80Hz and have the internal x-over of the receiver at 100Hz to create a deliberate dip in the response. I suppose I could do with some DSP thing to handle the calibration for me.

If it matters:
* Receiver is a Marantz 5000-series, to be upgraded to a 7000-series soon.
* Speakers are Boston Acoustics VRs, except for surrounds which are Energy RV dipoles.
* Requirements are:
To do music and movies equally well
To be capable of going below 20Hz
To be capable of achieving room compression (used to have an SVS PB1000 that was a bit muddy but did this rather well).
To put out a nuanced and (fairly) detailed lowend, to avoid monotony.

1)flooring has no effect on DF subs.

2)What indicates the klipsch may be peaky at 70hz?

3)in cea-2010 the edge <30hz goes to the xtz, the edge >50hz to the klipsch.

Tom V.

1)flooring has no effect on DF subs.

2)What indicates the klipsch may be peaky at 70hz?

3)in cea-2010 the edge <30hz goes to the xtz, the edge >50hz to the klipsch.

Tom V.
Thanks for the input.

1) Suspended wooden floors I understand is not recommended with DF subs since these tend to feed energy directly into the floor boards. A slab of concrete may just solve that issue though, and making sure it's ample distance between driver and floor.
2) Plots I've seen from various sources and from what I read in reviews. This and the increase of impact is said to be what separates the smaller Klipsch subs and the Jamos, the latter of which I have personal experience of.
3) You wouldn't have that bit of data available, would you? If what you're saying is true, those +2dB on the Klipsch is just bogus.

1)Opinions vary I'm sure..:)

2)I'm only seen one FR plot on it and it was relatively flat---especially with the typical 80hz crossover point applied(see link below)

3)Klipsch R-115SW Subwoofer Reviewed

Tom V.
1) I suppose this kind floor is rather easy to excite, as well as compress acoustically. You can actually feel it give slightly when treading across it. I haven't dabbled with DF of said reason should the gamble not pay off. But could be worth a try, obviously.
2) The two I've seen both had the dip at around 40 and the peak at 70, both obviously within +/-3dB. The one from a local periodical did have something of a peak at around 20Hz prior to that dip. http://www.sas-audio.dk/documents/00419.pdf The other one is likely from the review to which you linked. Like you said: with the X over applied and set to 90-80 Hz the peak is pretty much obliterated.

Comparatively the Jamos of same manufacturer are smoother than a baby's bottom in this region, so all things relative.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom