How does the Arcam DV88 treat MP3 disks

Jon Weaver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
I am interested to hear how exactly the Arcam DV88 treats MP3 disks.

Do they have to be written in a certain way?

Can you take a CD with a collection of MP3 files in a dirctory/sub-directory system and navigate around that disk to select the file(s) they you want to play?

Do you get an on-screen 'naviagtor'/'explorer' of the filesystem, or do you have to put all the MP3 files in the root dir??

Any info appreciated

Look in the progressive scan section for a thread called Arcam DV27, last entry 1st April. Most of the info you need is in there.

John Dawson (Arcam)

I took 100 MP3's and burned them to the root of a CD-R. They play fine. Apart from 2, however on further investigation they are using variable bit-rate encoding.

It seems as if the player scans a normal ISO CD-ROM directory for MP3 files. Not sure if it will cope with subdirectories - I haven't tested it.

Sound-wise, since the latest software upgrade I'm very happy. MP3's sound as good as if you'd expanded them to WAV and burned them on a standard audio disc. And you can't expect better than that !

On playback MP3 disc's function in exactly the same way as audio CD's (except more tracks :)). There is no on-screen navigator like some other DVD players...

Domino

[ 02-05-2001: Message edited by: Domino ]

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom