How does the Action Replay actually work?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by McGraw, Oct 5, 2004.

1. McGraw

McGraw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Okay, I'm getting very frustrated now as I have had no answer to this question and I have been asking it in various different forms all over the internet.

I have an Xbox and an Action Replay. It works fine.

At the moment I am using it to back up my saves.

I used to have a Playstation 2 with an X-Port that I used to change the rosters of Pro Evolution Soccer 3.

I have now traded my PS2 in for an XBox for the simple reason that PES4 is coming out on Xbox. On the whole, PES is the only reason I have a console.

I have some questions, I would be eternally grateful for at least one of the answers.

1a. Besides the added cheat functionality, is there any difference between Action Replays and Max Drives on Xbox?

1b. Can you transfer Max Drive Xbox saves using Action Replay?

2. How does the PS2 Action Replay differ from the XBox one if at all? (PES roster files were only available as Xport files at first for PS2 with Max Drive versions following much later, there has never been AR versions).

3. Why was the Xport for PS2 ever made? Surely a straight save transfer device should have been easier from the start?

I'm still finding it quite hard to get the point across but hopefully these questions will help.

Thanks very much in advance.

2. DucatiEVO

DucatiEVO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Prolly doesn't help but I always thought the current Action Replays were nothing more than a glorified save game storage. When I first brought an AR unit for my PC many moons ago you actually got an ISA card with a small controller that you used to freeze the game, then you could hex edit the memory space and look for health etc.

That's what the AR unit should be! Now I think it just play's off that concept, I know I'll never buy one if all it does is hold game saves, as you can get them off the web as well as trainers for free, no need to waste money on a pointless product.

Still that's just my two cents!
    cheers
    Chris

3. McGraw

McGraw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I need to know what, if any conversion is performed on the saves to get them onto pc.

Thanks