Question How does Sony VPL-VW500ES compare to more recent 4K projectors at £2k?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Artur R2, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Artur R2

Artur R2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Dear all,

I am in need of replacing my outdated Benq W1070 as when I upgraded the tv to LG OLED55B6 I have found myself not using it due to the image being so poor in comparison.

The question is I have an opportunity to purchase the Sony VPL-VW500ES at round £2000 but while it was a groundbreaking projector years ago how does it stack up against its competitors in this price bracket now ? Seeing as the content played will almost always be 4K and UHD what would you go for ? EPSON EH-TW7300? Optoma UHD60? Or something like JVC DLA-X500RBE or 5000?

All of your input is greatly appreciated and look forward to hearing your thoughts and an open to suggestions.

Many thanks

Artur

2. dhts

dhts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +306
    Assuming you're viewing in reasonable conditions my view would be the Sony would be the best of those listed but you should understand what UHD bluray is really about because it's not especially relevant with the 500es. I've the 300es and given up on UHD bluray as have others. The guys who dreamt up UHD bluray realised, partly because most content isn't mastered to 4k, and partly because there's precious little difference at normal viewing distances in any case, that to get consumers to upgrade they needed to provide more. So they added Higher Dynamic Range (e.g. Bright highlights, and greater shadow detail) and moved away from an antiquated colour range to something closer to what the eye can truly perceive. New UHD compatible TVs followed which could showcase both HDR and the wider colour range and as a result the medium did and is doing better than people expected.

Two problems...

Projectors have always struggled to deliver super bright images when calibrated properly so even very modern projectors can't really do HDR in the same way TV's can. Likewise they can't deliver the wider colour range. So whilst new projectors might claim to support HDR or UHD bluray it's in an extremely limited manner until you jump up to the new JVC's or the replacement for the 500es. It's getting better but it's still very immature technology for projectors and it's really more important to get the basics right, black levels, contrast etc.

So whilst the new projectors you list in theory offer more modern capabilities I believe you'll overall get a better image with a slightly older better model.

The 500es and 300es are considered to have very good upscaling which is why to my eye, a bluray upscaled on these looks as good as a UHD bluray. Plus as these projectors don't support HDR or wider colour gamut, the UHD bluray player has to try to adjust the image recognising the fact which can cause more problems which is why I stick to bluray, and I prefer bluray to streamed 4k content.

3. jfinnie

jfinnie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,834
    You should be aware that older Sony units may have suffered from panel degradation, which can raise the black level and give black a blue tint if I recall. There is a long and acrimonious in places thread about this at AVS forum. You'd need a meter to check for this.

Sony SXRD Degradation Thread - Effects All Current Sony SXRD 1080p/4K Panels - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Older JVC units suffer from a different panel change over time - gamma droop - but that is correctable using the JVC autocal routines as it doesn't affect the black floor, it affects the panels higher up their range.

Be aware that with a DLP "4k" unit you definitely won't get the UHD wider colourspace. Recent lamp / laser projectors are doing pretty well now in this respect, with good coverage at the cost of some light output.

4. dhts

dhts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +306
    Good point. I think it was particularly an issue where the projector had been used in humid environments, hours on the pj weren't the issue and could actually help.

5. Artur R2

Artur R2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Helll guys many thanks for your replies they are exactly what I’m loooking for.

I understand where you’re coming from with regards to the UHD content and that’s my primary worry. Virtually everything I will be watching will either be streamed 4K or UHD Blu-ray In HEVC format. With that in mind and the fact the new JVC models are not crazy expensive do I pass on the Sony and wait it for them to come to the used market ?

What I would hate to happen is spending money on the projector only to find that it doesn’t come anywhere near the quality of the tv and I don’t use it. Now I understand that a projector will never be a good as an OLED panel but I wouldn’t want there to be a big difference. What would you do if you were in my shoes ?

Once again all replies are greatly appreciated and big thanks for your input.

Artur

6. dhts

dhts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +306
    I don't' think the modest difference between say a good 500es and any reasonably priced current model is suddenly going to make you go wow, that's such a good picture I'll now give my tv a miss. I've a good 65" Panasonic tv and since I upgraded the audio in that room I do occasionally watch a second run movie or something streamed in there but it's no where near the experience of going in to the cinema room and watching it on a BIG screen.

I'd much rather watch bluray with my upscaling 4k projector than uhd on my tv.

Someone more knowledgeable than I can hopefully confirm the following numbers but the brightness you can get from highlights on recent TVs is way way ahead that you can get from a projector. I think your tv is around 650nits and a projector would need to output 2000 ANSI lumens which calibrated projectors won't hit. And TVs are getting brighter all the time.

7. iamsludge

iamsludge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +169
    What would I do? Get some demos at a good dealer.

8. jfinnie

jfinnie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,834
    I don't think there is any conclusive information either way. Ecki of Cine4home in Germany had measured it on several units I understand, and I don't think Germany is noted for a particularly humid climate.

9. Artur R2

Artur R2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Guys thanks for your time and answers you have helped tremendously as I have decided to put the search to rest until the newer 4K models start coming down in price as i felt it would be too much of a risk to go with the Sony and didn’t want to be disappointed with the other more budget non native projectors.

On a completely different note have either of you had any experience with Epson EH-LS10000?

10. Ellisdj

Ellisdj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +507
    For £2k you wouldnt be dissapointed thats for sure - and you can use the settings in the newer players designed for displays without HDR to get a great image for UHD content.
    For £2k its a great projector