how does smoking affect speakers or other AV equipment ?

N

Nauman

well the title says it all. in addition to that i want to know

1- "to what extent smoking cigaretes affect the AV equipment?"

2- can i prevent any effects without quiting smoking cigs?, like cleaning once in a while.

3- wut else do i need to know about smoking in HT room

i usually smoke 2 cigarettes while watchin a movie in my HT room. in a day . i can go upto 5. :smoke:

Smoking kills AV equipment it could also kill you.:smoke:

I gave up with the NHS smoking group. Give them a go:smashin:

Smoking knackers everything up.My parents both smoke you wouldnt believe the amount of nicotine that gets on anything in there kitchen (only room they smoke) After a couple of weeks if you clean the inside windows the cloth always ends up very brown so just think what it does to your lungs.

i'm also not a smoker- but i'm sure he knows the risks to himself, but wants to know about the risk to his equipment. Which i don't know. so i'll shut up. But hopefully someone else will come along soon.....

Well the risk to his equipment will be nicotine stained outside, inside i shouldnt think it would cause any damage.

I doubt it will cause any actual problems - other than cosmetic - to most equipment. However, the brown stuff (which is not actually Nicotine - that's colourless) will get into everything and hence anything optical will be affected in time. The laser/lens on a DVD player may decrease in efficacy as it gets stained. And it will definitely change the colour rendition in a projector and on its screen, or in a rear projection TV.

Apart from the obvious effects to the cosmetics and the difficulty in selling on second hand (OK if you sell to another smoker)
I doubt you'll have any problem. Unless you sit and breath out into the equipment you won't clog things up any more than dust will.
Only thing I don't know about is how it will effect a projector. You will eventually end up watching a yellow screen but hey....
As has already been said, best thing to do is quit, if nothing else you won't have yellow hifi.

if smoking kills then why are there 80yr old men walking around who still smoke who have smoked since 14 with no filters in those days probably woodbines and have smoke for over 65 yrs !! and not just old men old women too. not trying to defend it but of all the people ive known or heard of with cancer none have them have smoked, ever.

65 yrs of smoking x 10 a day x 365 = 237250 cigs with 20 drags off each cig =4 million sevenhundred and fourty five thousand times they have dragged on a cig in their lifetime..

that just with a 10 a day habit !!! yet there still not dead !! :eek:

not defending them, they make you feel tired, ill, angry when needing one, generally bunged up sinuses, chesty coughs, sore throats and yes cancer and heart lung disease but to name a few. but to say everyone will get cancer from smoking isnt true at all ok eventually at 125yrs old yes someday it would have to but if you make it to 80yrs old after year and years of smoking then its not right to say everyone dies from it.

some people are more suseptable than others.

DVD lasers, turntables. projector optics, rear pro optics & mirrors, can all get tar coated.

Cosmetic damage is a certainty, as well as the smell for selling second hand

Think how many more DVDs you could buy?

Sinelanguage said:

Both my parents have smoked since they were 14 both now in there late 60s, My dads brother died of lung cancer at 60years old never smoked but did spend most of his spare time down the smoky pub.Mums brother died of lung cancer aged 78 smoked since he was 13 so there is truth in what your saying but the thing is you dont know if your more suceptable till you either live to old age or die young.
Pack in the ciggies and what you do get is better health and more money to spend on av stuff:D .

Its a bit like computers especailly if you have component that is fan cooled: Tar will stick to the hot bits and then dust will stick to the tar which will reduce its cooling capability. I used to smoke whilst playing on my PC and knackered it that way.:thumbsdow

Quit the fags, pause the movie and go outside for a joint:D
Go back in and enjoy the rest of the film....

wookie said:
Quit the fags, pause the movie and go outside for a joint:D
Go back in and enjoy the rest of the film....

:thumbsup: :rotfl: :clap:

used to be my way till i stopped smoking the erb as well as the leaf...lol (altho i leaned out the window to save going downstairs...heh)

Knyght_byte said:
:thumbsup: :rotfl: :clap:

used to be my way till i stopped smoking the erb as well as the leaf...lol (altho i leaned out the window to save going downstairs...heh)
I stopped smoking the weed because it was costing me a fortune. I could never remember who I had leant my CD/DVDs to.:rolleyes:

Russell

OK ! im going outside, or ill smoke in the computer room right next to it (i dont care abt the computer as much as i care abt my expensive AV equipment). thanks guys.

btw i thought that the smoke will set on the speaker drivers and tweeters and eat them :rolleyes:

Nauman said:
btw i thought that the smoke will set on the speaker drivers and tweeters and eat them :rolleyes:

:rotfl:

if thats the case how can you smoke at all :eek:

seriously though, it would be best to smoke away from the av stuff :smashin:

Sinelanguage said:
if smoking kills then why are there 80yr old men walking around who still smoke who have smoked since 14 with no filters in those days probably woodbines and have smoke for over 65 yrs !! and not just old men old women too. not trying to defend it but of all the people ive known or heard of with cancer none have them have smoked, ever.

65 yrs of smoking x 10 a day x 365 = 237250 cigs with 20 drags off each cig =4 million sevenhundred and fourty five thousand times they have dragged on a cig in their lifetime..

that just with a 10 a day habit !!! yet there still not dead !! :eek:

It's a little OT,but whilst it's true to say that some people are either more susceptible from genetic or environmental influences,the link between cancer and smoking has long been a fact,but more importantly,what is seldom advertised is how many people die each year due to the following smoking related diseases...

Heart disease,peripheral vascular disease(leading to limb amputations and salvage surgery)strokes,and of course the other cancers such as throat and bladder.

Anyway...rant over....on a lighter note,I do remember when our last secretary retired(a heavy smoker) when her computer monitor was removed epnding replacement,we realised that the PC itself wasnt originally brown....it was rather well smoked.

Seriously though,a lot of people use the fact that their gear is effectively smoke free as a selling point on fleabay,and removing the brown gunk from used gear can be a pain...I bought a pair of QuadIIs a while ago that had obviously seen a few Woodbines in their day,and it does take some cleaning.

The damage is mainly cosmetic, but is easily removed with a damp cloth.
Fanned stuff is particularly prone, but so too is anything that gets warm, because of convection.
Stuff placed under any sort of cover, eg an AV stand will be much less prone.
The smoke mostly falls vertically, in my experience.
Whilst I reckon it would cause damage eventually, I doubt you'd want to keep your kit that long anyway.
What I've been doing recently, is open a living room window, leave the door open and open an upstairs window, thus creating a chimney effect. It keeps the room much less smokey.
But it ain't half cold :thumbsdow

As for PJ's, it's really bad news, the way they move air.

As an aside, I hope all you non smokers are enjoying/will enjoy the extra tax that will be needed to compensate the loss caused by everyone giving up.
I reckon I'm paying £50 a week cig tax, minimum.
If I live to 65 (some hope, I'm a welder, which is much worse than smoking) it'll be about 50 years smoking.
50 * £2500 = £125000 at todays prices.
I think that will easily pay for any treatment I need.
You should be thanking us smokers, IMO.
Although I would like to stop myself.
I do understand where you non smokers are coming from :smashin:
Now if I could only stop drinking, stop working seven days a week and stop buying AV stuff, I'd be much better off :rotfl:

I digress, sorry.

Smoking related diseases cost the NHS far more than the government gain in taxation from cigs.

My experience is computer related but whenever i see a pc thats owned by a smoker the innards are always far worse than a non smoker. The tar combined with the dust makes a nasty coating on fans, sinks, caps etc - As lots of AV gear use sinks im sure the minimum it will do is raise the temperature inside as this gunk literally sticks to the sinks and acts as an insulator (as does dust but it doesnt stick as much) I imagine this will only really matter if the kit is several years old - im sure that doesnt happen much with the upgrade cycles we have ;)

Smoking related diseases cost the NHS far more than the government gain in taxation from cigs.

From the horses mouth :

"High tobacco taxes are also sound fiscal policy -- reducing the tax burden on jobs, investment and essential consumer spending. Tobacco duties help to keep other taxes at lower levels and stimulate reduced consumption of tobacco leading to redirection of spending onto more labour-intensive goods and services: both effects are good for employment."

http://www.ash.org.uk/html/policy/gvmntpap.html#FiscalPolicy

Or another quote:

"Pressure groups want 2p in every pound of tobacco duty to be spent on policy - raising £152m from the £7.6bn raised each year, excluding tax.

"Just 2p in every pound is hardly an excessive sum to return to smokers to help them quit and it would pay great dividends for health and the NHS "
Clive Bates, Ash
This is almost three times the current level of expenditure, but only 10% of what smoking costs the NHS each year (£1.5bn)."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/low/health/1919686.stm

April, 2002. and cig tax has gone up %wise since then.

My original comment was posted TIC, but is fact :smashin:

Whilst I'm in no way condoning smoking, don't believe the hype.

Its not right tho, there was a study done a while ago and while it would take a while to balance out Smoking costs the NHS far more than they recieve in duty. Remember most smoke related illness is not recorded as such (heart problems very often go as heart and not under the actual cause if its smoking) If everyone in the UK gave up smoking today the costs caused by smoking would not end but the duty would.

There are other factors : smoke breaks have an effect on productivity - thought to cost industries billions. People who dont smoke but are around smokers are ill more often than people who are not around smokers and thats before we get to the cost to the fire service and again the NHS treating victims of fires caused by cigs. You then have knock on effects of smokers in hospitals taking up beds - beds cost money, people die because there are not enough beds in hospitals. Admin fees in refurals and waiting for beds - i could go on for a while (i did it for an economics paper)

anyway majorly off topic now !

Shimmyhill said:
Its not right tho, there was a study done a while ago and while it would take a while to balance out Smoking costs the NHS far more than they recieve in duty. Remember most smoke related illness is not recorded as such (heart problems very often go as heart and not under the actual cause if its smoking) If everyone in the UK gave up smoking today the costs caused by smoking would not end but the duty would.

There are other factors : smoke breaks have an effect on productivity - thought to cost industries billions. People who dont smoke but are around smokers are ill more often than people who are not around smokers and thats before we get to the cost to the fire service and again the NHS treating victims of fires caused by cigs. You then have knock on effects of smokers in hospitals taking up beds - beds cost money, people die because there are not enough beds in hospitals. Admin fees in refurals and waiting for beds - i could go on for a while (i did it for an economics paper)

anyway majorly off topic now !

Some of your points are good, but I can only go off the figures.
Including the fact I won't take even a small fraction of my £125,000 plus what I pay in stamp, in health care. Fact is, we have one of the cheapest health systems in the world, as a percentage of GDP (major countries). I could go into a right rant about wages not being high enough to discourage an idle generation of dossers, but I won't.
I'm happy to agree to disagree and leave it at that.

Anyway, either way, smoking ain't good for A/V kit or body, is the consensus :smashin:

Badger0-0 said:
The damage is mainly cosmetic, but is easily removed with a damp cloth.

As a regular buyer of older gear, i can assure you that if a unit has been sat in the lounge of a smoker for 10 or so years, it takes a damn sight more than a damp cloth to clean it up. :rolleyes:
The best methods i have found invlove Cif with bleach, a cloth, a selection of toothbrushes and considerable elbow grease. This, of course, doesn't clean out the inside and so you still get a stinking waft of stale fag smoke every time you turn the thing on. :mad:

Over time you will notice the dialogue becomes a little deeper and husky sounding with possibly with some wheezing from the ports. The system may also run out of puff on loud passages.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom