How does one turn off AirPlay on a Yamaha Receiver TSR-700? I already have an Apple TV hooked up to it so it is redundant.

edgarisjamming

Novice Member
I have a TSR-700 Yamaha Receiver and an Apple TV which I use as my main entertainment center. Having the receiver as an AirPlay target seems redundant and confusing so I would like to turn it off. The problem is that I can't find a way to do so. The [Settings] menu doesn't have anything related to AirPlay, I've looked in every menu including Functions, Network, etc. The [Options] menu doesn't show anything either.

The web interface shows AirPlay in the Network tab but it only allows me to change the password. There's no option to turn it off.

Screen Shot 2021-08-18 at 1.58.08 PM.png

Any advice?

dante01

Distinguished Member
Simply don't engage it. There's no need to turn it off because it will only be engaged if you select the AV receiver on the device you are streaming the audio from. Don't select the AV receiver and there would be no reason to turn Airplay off because it wouldn't be on or be in use on the AV receiver..

The answer to what you want to do is on the source device and not on the AV receiver.

IMG_0020.PNG

by default 2021-08-18 at 20.50.03.png

Last edited:

edgarisjamming

Novice Member
Simply don't engage it. There's no need to turn it off because it will only be engaged if you select the AV receiver on the device you are streaming the audio from. Don't select the AV receiver and there would be no reason to turn Airplay off because it wouldn't be on or be in use on the AV receiver..

The answer to what you want to do is on the source device and not on the AV receiver.

View attachment 1557337

View attachment 1557339
The only way to turn it off is to not use it? lol

I've got 4 smart TVs and 2 other devices that were broadcasting as AirPlay devices. They clutter up the list of devices I can choose from. I only need my 4 HomePods, 3 Sonos speakers, and the 4 Apple TVs listed as AirPlay devices.

Every other device allows me to disable AirPlay functionality, even the cheapest smart TV I have, why doesn't Yahama?

dante01

Distinguished Member
It isn't on on the AV receiver unless you use it. It is a push service engaged by the device and only engaged if you select the AV receiver on the device and stream to the AV receiver from that device.

You can however go into a Yamaha AV receivers settings and the INPUT SKIP setting and SKIP the AIRPLAY input if you'd rather not have that option acvailable to the AV receiver.

Last edited:

edgarisjamming

Novice Member
It isn't on on the AV receiver unless you use it. It is a push service engaged by the device and only engaged if you select the AV receiver on the device and stream to the AV receiver from that device.

You can however go into a Yamaha AV receivers settings and the INPUT SKIP setting and SKIP the AIRPLAY input if you'd rather not have that option acvailable to the AV receiver.
Screen Shot 2021-08-19 at 9.30.05 AM.png

Maybe I'm not explaining myself clearly. The Yamaha Receiver is broadcasting itself as an AirPlay device.

I've got four smart TVs with Apple TVs hooked up to them. Originally, all four smart TVs were displayed in that AirPlay screenshot above. It was unnecessary since each of those smart TVs has an Apple TV or Sonos Beam attached to it. If I told Siri to play music in the gym then Siri would attempt to play music on the sh*tty speakers built into the smart TV and the nice sound system that the Apple TV is attached to. That makes no sense.

The obvious thing to do is to disable AirPlay on those devices, which is what I did. The smart TVs no longer broadcast themselves as AirPlay devices and serve solely as displays for my Apple TVs.

Now the only black sheep is the Yamaha Receiver.

Living Room Smart TV [AirPlay is off] <=> Yamaha Receiver [AirPlay permanently on] <=> Apple TV [AirPlay on (preferred)]

What do you think happens if I tell Siri to "play [music] on all speakers" in my home? Since the Apple TV is hooked up to the Yamaha Receiver... which one takes precedence?

dante01

Distinguished Member
Again, simply do not select the AV receiver via the options on the source device. End off.

edgarisjamming

Novice Member
Again, simply do not select the AV receiver via the options on the source device. End off.

Again, what do you think happens if I tell Siri to play music on all speakers without manually tapping/clicking on every individual AirPlay device except for the Yamaha Receiver?

edgarisjamming

Novice Member
I would rather just turn off AirPlay functionality on it so that it doesn’t show up as an AirPlay target instead of doing some hacky workaround.

Anyway, for anyone that reads this thread in the future; the proper answer to my question is “It’s not possible to turn off AirPlay on the TSR-700 Yamaha Receiver”.

And if they need some workarounds the things you listed may suffice for them.

In the meantime, I guess I’ll email Yamaha and request this functionality. It doesn’t seem unreasonable considering that we can turn off Bluetooth on the receiver already.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom