1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How does one avoid long cable runs?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Claude, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Claude

Claude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey all,

Here's my dilema. I have a TX100 which is fed by a samsung HD945 via DVI-d. The HD945 inturn is conected via standard left/right phono leads to my amplifier.

If my DVD player is placed close to the projector then I would need a 10m run of audio interconnect to reach my amp. If, however, I place the DVD player close to the amplifier I need a 10m DVI cable to reach the projector.

Which is the better of the two evils given that moving my amplifier is not an option due to short and very very expensive speaker cable?

Is a 10m DVI cable purchased for around £25 going to degrade the signal significantly as I would think that would certainly be the case with a 10m audio interconnect.

I realise this is a cabling issue but given that it concerns those with projectors I thought it be best in this category.

Love to hear how some of you have got round this.

2. pez

pez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    gota watch out for signal attenuation in a 10m DVI, people report sparklies.

much better to run long analogue rca left and rights to your amp.

ive recently bought alot of kit, measured up speaker cables and everything else for the amp and dvd player at the front of my room, so i bought 3 sets of 4m QED standard speaker cable for the fronts, and various lengths for the rears.

ive completely rearranged my room now, with all the av hardware at the back, so that i can maintain shorter (cheaper!) cabling between the components, and then run the cheaper speaker cables all around the room.

at 10m youre going to get attenuation, but try it out with the dvi, it might be fine.

pez

3. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    You can pay silly money for reliable long DVI cables. However I bought one from the states that was 12m long for less than the price of a bettercables 8m . And it has no sparklies running to an HS20 from an HTPC. They do up to 15m and the guarantee they work with no sparklies and they also say there is no black magic to it : just good quality cabling. They also sell the hdmi/dvi amplifier boxes for about half what they cost over here.

Bit better than spring for several hundred pounds worth of fibre optic repeater.

My 12m cost $177 with 30quid for duty and tax and would have been here in a couple of days if parcelforce hadn't sat on it for a week...again!

They have an ebay shop and are called cablesolutions.

Running long phono cables will be cheaper though : personally I'd recommend buying the cable and soldering the connectors on yourself .

4. Claude

Claude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mr.D & PEZ,

Thanks loads for your replies. Very interesting about 'attenuation' & 'sparklies'.
    Must say $177 is definately out of my price range so I'll live with my £20 DVI cable for a clouple more movies and if sparklies become evident then I shall do the long audio thing.

Are sparklies very obvious and what would be the best kind of image to test for them?

5. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Someitmes you'll get lucky but it also depends on your source and display ( mainly display).