1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How does Napster work?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Faust, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Possibly not the right forum for this question, but here goes. Can anyone explain the difference between Napster and Apple itunes ? My daughter is signed up to itunes, downloads music and gladly pays the 79 pence, but she does not download a great deal. She has said she is now going to try Napster, although I notice the pretty hefty monthly fee. How does this service work, as I notice looking at the site that there appears to be prices at the side of the music tracks in the demo. Also as an occasional downloader, what happens to my daughters sub if she doesn't download anything during the month or months? Finally can the tracks be downloaded and burnt to CD using the WAV format which will play on all CD players, as ours will not play MP3. Any info most welcome.

:lease:

2. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    With that subscription thing all the music downloaded is protected, so if you miss a months payment all your music becomes worthless. In effect you are really renting the tunes, not buying them.

3. MagicBoy

MagicBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Which player does she have? The iPod will not work with Napster as is. You'd need to download the tunes, find some way to burn them to CD then import them from CD into iTunes to get them onto an iPod. This process also causes a further drop in quality as iTunes is recompressing a compressed file...

4. washout

washout

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    best place to buy music is allofmp3.com, select english top left. 10cent per track, high bitrates, and no DRM.
    napster to go will work on the ipod and is the same as itunes as you are charged per song.
    the sub napster is a rental service, miss 1 payment and the music will stop playing on the device, an ipod isnt compatible with this service, zen micros are.
    i would personally vote with my feet. you are looking for a service that offers high bitrate tracks for quality, variable formats so as to not loose quality, and doesnt have any rights management. so basically 192+ mp3, without DRM, i would steer clear of itunes, with low bitrates and rights management.
    i believe the ipod will play mp3 so no need to convert to aac and loose quality.

5. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    My daughter does not have an ipod, she simply downloads the tracks using the WAV encoder then burns them to a CD. Are you saying that with the subscription service on Napster you cannot burn the tracks you download onto a CD as WAV files but have to keep them on your hard drive etc.? The way I read the comments made is that she would have to use this "Napster to go" service i.e. pay for each track like itunes which can then be burnt to a CD I presume?

6. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Re my earlier post, I think I've got it now. You can pay the 14.95 sub for "Napster to go" to refill an MP3 player, if you have one, but can only continue to listen to the music so long as you keep up with the subs. The other option is to pay 9.95 with Napster proper, then on top of that pay extra for the tracks you want to burn onto CD and keep forever. Hmm! not impressed, as Peter Kay would say "What's that all about"

:mad:

7. SugarMedia

SugarMedia
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I would stay away from Napster since you are only "renting" the music, as where with itunes you own it.

By the way, I have a Apple PowerBook and choose, "lossless' when importing music so I loose no quality from the original version.

Check out "Limewire" for a few days.

8. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    When I click the English option all I get is a blank screen, whether I refresh or not...?

9. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
  10. PinkPig

PinkPig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You don't need to pay a subscription to buy tracks on Napster - if you just use "Napster light" (you might need to sign up for the free trial and cancel it first) - you just pay for every track you download and you keep them forever, just like Itunes. The two subscription packages give you unlimited music for as long as your subscription lasts.

11. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +4,347
    I use a lot of the major sites, but quite like MSN Music - you don't pay any monthly fee, tracks are 69p and albums £6.99.

The choice isn't quite as great as elsewhere (at the mo), but there's not a lot in it.

Steve W

12. PAH

PAH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Looks like the music labels have seen how sucessful iTunes and Napster are becoming and are getting greedy:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/02/28/downloads_price_rises/

So we'll end up paying more for a CD's worth of music that's poorer quality than CD. Nice one.

Let's hope allofmp3 and the other ruskie sites are around for a lot longer. Even if they have to raise their prices a bit to appease the international authorities, they'd still be a lot cheaper than current alternatives, and with allofmp3 you can pay more to get CD quality music if you want.