How does my diet look?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by kingolympics, Mar 7, 2013.

1. kingolympics

kingolympics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Hey guys, I know I have another thread open in this section so hoping it's not a problem to have 2...

Anyway, I've dropped about 2 stone over the last year, am looking to lose another one and a half (looking back I was a mess before this weight loss!).

Just wanted to see what people thought of my diet;

Breakfast: cheerios with skimmed milk

Lunch: Sandwich and a half; ham and cheese, small pot of berries and another of pineapple rings

Dinner: 1 of; Pasta/filled pasta/ half a frozen pizza one evening (500 cals), chicken breast and salad. Always with dinner I have a large helping of spinach and tomatoes

Snacks: 2 x banana, 1 x apple, 1 yoghurt and in the evening a frozen yoghurt lolly (80 cals)

I generally have the above 6 days a week, with 1 day off. Have been going to the gym 5 days a week, 3 x cardio and 2 x weights. Was previously running 5 days a week but since moving to the above routine, my weight loss has slowed dramatically.

Any thoughts on my diet? Would be interested to hear what people think. I know the pizza/filled pasta aren't great, but I control my portions and they are nice easy dinners for when I get home late!

2. Ben-H

Ben-H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,024
    Im no expert but i've recently lost abit of weight myself and i did that on a high protein low carb diet.

Looking at what you've written below i'd say your having to much carbs..

Try substituting your sandwich at lunch to a salad or sweet potato (still carbs i know) and just generally cut down on your daily carb and sugar intake.

Try eating more fish, chicken, turkey and generally healthy fresh foods.

Stating the obvious i know, but it worked for me.

3. kingolympics

kingolympics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Yeah I didn't think I was eating too many carbs...but having looked at my diet written down, I really am.

I might try a chicken salad for lunch. I'm concerned about moving away from what I have at the moment as I really don't want to arrive at the gym feeling starving!

4. roman700

roman700

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Looks like quite a good diet to me, well done with that and also your weight loss.

Nice one about the spinach too. I need to eat more greens!

Maybe replace the cheerios with something with a bit less sugar and more fibre, to help you feel more full? Maybe shredded wheat/bran flakes? I don't think cheerios have loads of sugar, but there's probably some potential for improvement there.

5. sniffer66

sniffer66
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,717
    Oats are good in the morning. They keep you full for ages and give you slow release energy.
    Or eggs.

One question, you say your weight loss has slowed after dropping 2 stone. Have you adjusted your intake downwards after losing the weight ? The lighter you get the less calories you burn doing the same tasks.
    Or conversely you can up your exercise if you want to eat the same

6. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,183
    Look ok to me. The only thing I would change is switch to cereal such as oatmeal, Shredded Wheat , or Weetabix (bite size is handy to snack on). Cheerios has too many calories for me as well as too much sugar. It has 14% RDA of sugar compared to 2% RDA of weetabix. I also have started enjoying a puffed wheat which is very low in calories, salt, sugar etc.

Perhaps more choice of vegetables.

7. kingolympics

kingolympics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Thanks for the replies guys. I feared that someone would question my choice of Cheerios! They are delicious but I hadn't realised they have 14% RDA of sugar. Might just have cheerios at weekends and starting having porridge in the week.

roman700 - if you need to eat more greens, I highly recommend raw spinach. I raelly doesn't like the taste of greens...but with spinach I just eat it with a mouthful of something else and that way I can't even taste it!

sniffer66 - No I haven't been reducing my calorie intake. I'd been burning between 900-1000 in the gym most days so figured I wouldn't need to. However I've had to stop running so now I'm only burning 600 3 days a week, with 2 weights sessions as well. I guess I should expect slower weight loss.

I think i'll move to porridge for breakfast and chicken salads for lunch. Anything I should know about porridge? A particular type of oats I should get?

8. sniffer66

sniffer66
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,717
    How are you measuring that calorie burn in the gym ? From the calorie readout on the machines ? if so, they seriously over-estimate calorie burn. I've worn both a heart rate monitor and Ki-Fit (bodybugg) and the (more) real numbers are way less than the machines will tell you.

Interestingly I burn a lot doing NEAT stuff by staying more active during the day than I do in the gym. Its worth thinking about

Personally I'd go for old fashioned rolled oats for brekkie. I believe they have a lower GI value than the instant or flavoured stuff. I do 40g oats and 300 ml of milk in the microwave for about 3 mins

9. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,183
    This are the oats I have. They are 49p for 500g at Home Bargains and do 10-11 meals with either water or milk.

Superfast Oats | Cereal

10. fitzybhoy25

fitzybhoy25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    Carbs are fine in moderation, do not think they are the enemy.

11. stoomc

stoomc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +485
    Thank you! At least someone here is on the same page, lol!

You don't need to reduce "carbs" you need to reduce the junk food (cheerios etc) I always wait for the first person to say "carb heavy" on these threads :D

12. kingolympics

kingolympics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Well I've bought some oats, so am replacing cheerios with porridge in the mornings.

Going to have a chicken, spinach and tomato salad on the 2 days I lift weights.

Will try this for a while and then maybe in the future try and improve my dinners a bit. Appreciate the feedback guys.

13. sniffer66

sniffer66
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,717
    The whole thing about demonising the different food groups to sell books really pisses me off. Eat the right fats, carbs and protein in the right amounts and its all good.

I'm doing about 300g of carbs a day at the moment and dropping fat.

Ant don't get me started on the whole low fat/hidden sugar crap !

14. kingolympics

kingolympics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    How do you think my diet looks after switching cheerios to porridge and having a chicken salad twice a week instead of sandwiches? Appreciate the feedback from all

15. Turb007

Turb007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +692
    fat burns in a carbohydrate flame

16. fitzybhoy25

fitzybhoy25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    For my diet I eat a boat load of carbs in comparison to protein and I am getting bigger and stronger all the time.

Even when I did P90X the diets there were certainly more carb heavy than protein and I lost weight there.

It's excess calories that are the enemy, if you want to lose weight :D

17. stoomc

stoomc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +485
    Very true!

There are still so many people out there that fear carbs- fats as well!
    People like Gary Taubes are not helping matters (you might have to Google him) with nonsense like carbs=insulin=fat, insulin is only a tiny part of fat storage.

18. Foster

Foster
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,167
    It makes me laugh low carb diets, you'll probably put more weight on due to craving carbs.

19. sniffer66

sniffer66
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,717
    Lmfao

20. Foster

Foster
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,167
    [​IMG]

21. sniffer66

sniffer66
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,717
    Yeah, those oily mackerel, salmon and trout are terrible for your health. And olives !! Don't get me started !!

22. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,183
    No you don't. I didn't. It's just moderation and don't have it. Have alternatives like thin crust pizzas. I found low calorie burgers compared to other makes and they are even less once the more fat comes out when cooked.

23. sniffer66

sniffer66
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,717

Making your own burgers with decent quality low fat mince from the butcher is also good

24. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,183

I did it for a while but the low fat makes the burgers very dry. They can't compete with a regular burger for taste.

25. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45,929
    don't worry about jdenny nwg, they aren't from around here... ;)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  26. sniffer66

sniffer66
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,717
    I throw in an egg,onion, mustard and loads of spices and bake them in the oven

They taste pretty good like that

27. Thug

Thug
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,740
    The following are just my personal views, so may not be correct....

Do you weigh your cheerios? They are FULL of sugar and a 40g serving will have around 11g of sugar (or is it 11%?).
    Weigh your food and you will be surprised how little 40g is.
    Do you measure your milk?
    I have either a protein drink made with water or 2 Weetabix with a small amount of milk and sweetener.

Bread is actually quite bad for you. What type do you use? Wholemeal (not to be confused with brown) is the best, but even that is around 120 calories per slice. Cheese is mainly fat. Pineapple has lots of sugar in it.
    I have a tin of sardines (good fat, 210 calories for the full tin and about 40g of protein). I eat it straight from the tin, so no bread (although it is nice on toast, but that's an extra 240 calories). I also have fat free yoghurt.

Pasta is a good carb and I do eat a lot of it (to be honest I am bored of it now too). What is it filled with? If cheeses then its very fatty.
    Pizza is mainly bread (bad for you when dieting) and cheese.
    If you really want pizza then get a thin base one, with not much cheese topping. I really like the Pizza Express Sloppy Guiseppe as they are very tasty and low in fats.
    If you want cheese on something then grate some Parmasan on it. it has less fat and is very strong, so you don't need as much. We do that over pasta (instead of the filled stuff).
    Soups are also not too bad as a full tin is around 200 calories.

Snacks are quite good.

Where do you get your fresh veg from in this diet? Don't neglect it. Broccoli is one of the best for you (its a super food too).

Your enemy is saturated fats and sugars. Try to limit these as much as possibly and you will see the difference. They are usually well hid in various foods, try looking form them. For instance it may say carbs and carbs which sugars.
    Basically anything that tastes nice is bad for you :(

Do me a favour and write down EVERTHING you eat today (or whenever). Don't miss ANYTHING out, even the tommy sauce on your bun has calories.
    That is the mistake most people make, they count calories, but don't include the glass of wine, the tomato sauce, the spread on their sarnie, the milk in their coffee. Basically, if it passes your lips, you have eaten it.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  28. Ben-H

Ben-H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,024
    Not if you have will power. Anythings possible once you put your mind to it!! ;)

Can't say i've ever really craved carbs myself as i get them from eating veg\sweet potato\kale and the likes.

29. Foster

Foster
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,167
    But eating hardly any carbs and mainly just protein you aren't really going to feel full so in the end most people will fail.