• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

How does MS know where you live?

bobble_bob

Just a random question i have wondered for a while. If you own a 360 in the UK you will get different things on the dashboard to a US 360. For example 1v100 would be different and you would have Netflix in the US. So how does xbox live know?

Is it down to what location you select, where you buy the 360 or IP address? So for example could you buy a 360 in the UK, take it to the US and suddenly have access to Netfix, or would you need to buy a machine over there? (i know the pal/ntsc different)

PrivatePile76

maybe it's when you register online and put your address in ???

just a thought....

Seriously though, if your wanting to benefit from US stuff or JP stuff you can or used to be able to register for a silver account in another region...

do a search on here for help, I never tried it but I saw plenty of people harping on about it at the time...

Pile

D2TheQ

Must be to do with your IP address. Plus MS probably hold a **** load of info on us as majority of people use windows xp / vista / 7 / etc with a internet connection.

markie g

Distinguished Member
IP address will only give them the exchange details i.e city/town, it wont be able to tell them what house number you live at on what road. They wont go on IP addresses alone as some ISP use proxy's like AOL (maybe also SKY?) so sometimes the IP location can be hundreds of miles away from your actual city/town.

They will no doubt use IP address to get your country details, but will use other things like Credit card details and address you input when you register.

D

Deleted member 79803

They also use your net connection to trace. Most sites do. ;)

I have a us account but they stopped me using it a while ago after a dash update. :mad:

Strange, my US account still works fine (latest dash). Have you tried to set up a new account to see if that works?

-------

May have changed now but in the past IP checking wasn't done when setting up a US Live account. As long as you used a valid US address / zip vode you could access the US marketplace, download demos, buy arcade games (using US MS points) etc. Didn't matter if you were using a US or PAL 360.

With the majority of content (arcade games, demos, themes etc.) there is no validation being done. You just need a US account.

However, with certain content such as Netflix there is defintely some IP checking going on too (presumably for licensing reasons). Even if you use a US 360 you will receive a 'content not available in your region' type message.

I'm not aware of any hardware checks being done (there is some region coding for Xbox originals but that is in the original game code) so in theory a PAL 360 could access Netflix if if was being used from within the US.

Last edited by a moderator:
Strange, my US account still works fine (latest dash). Have you tried to set up a new account to see if that works?

-------

May have changed now but in the past IP checking wasn't done when setting up a US Live account. As long as you used a valid US address / zip vode you could access the US marketplace, download demos, buy arcade games (using US MS points) etc. Didn't matter if you were using a US or PAL 360.

With the majority of content (arcade games, demos, themes etc.) there is no validation being done. You just need a US account.

However, with certain content such as Netflix there is defintely some IP checking going on too (presumably for licensing reasons). Even if you use a US 360 you will receive a 'content not available in your region' type message.

I'm not aware of any hardware checks being done (there is some region coding for Xbox originals but that is in the original game code) so in theory a PAL 360 could access Netflix if if was being used from within the US.

I can sign in and see the dash but nothing will download. It states not in correct region. My account is US my connection is UK.

mattclarkie

Distinguished Member
MS use a variety of techniques.

1. UK consoles are shipped knowing they are UK, yes you can change it, but it defaults to UK.

2. They use your IP address for certain Region Specific things that would result in breach of licensing/copyright.

3. When you sign-up for an account they ask you where you live, but I don't think MS actually use this to determine what account you get.

4. If you register for your account online it defaults to the variant of Xbox.com you use. If you register at Xbox.com/en-US you get a US account.

alan280170

Distinguished Member
I've got a US account, but I also have a US address, but when in UK, I still download from USA, no problems. Think it may be to do with your address that you originally put in. :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom