How Does LoveFilm Work?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by nheather, May 6, 2007.

1. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,999
    I'm thinking of ditching Sky Movies and replacing it with a subscrition based DVD rental service (such LoveFilm).

I've visited their website but can't find the information I'm looking for.

I'd like to know what the monthly rates how, how many films you can have out at any one time and how long you can keep them before returning them.

Whenever, it looks like I'm getting close to the info on the WebSite I'm whisked off to the 'sign up for a free trial' form.

I don't want a free trial I just want to know how it works, and what it costs so I can decide whether it is worth pursuing.

Cheers,

Nigel

2. Example

Example

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    http://www.lovefilm.com/learn/

try that

You can keep the disks as long as you want but you only get new disks once you've sent the old ones back.

3. angelislington

angelislington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    I've only recently signed up to LF. £15 per month, as many discs as you like in that period but no more than two at a time. As has been said, you can keep them for as long as you like, which is great compared to going to Blockies and rushing the discs back to avoid the fines, like tonight :D

They are very quick getting discs to you as well and they have this clever freepost return thing.

4. angelislington

angelislington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    Oh, and I might still have the free trial card, if you were interested in giving it a go, for the cost of postage.

5. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +394
    I've tried Love Film and Blockbuster. I ended up sticking with Blockbusters postal service. No matter how I arranged my list on Lovefilm in the six months I was with them (going through about 7 or 8 DVD's a month) I never got sent my first choice. I've been with Blockbuster 4 months, and have had 5 from my first choice and regularly get 2nd, 3rd or 4th.

There wa a long thread in the DVD section somewhere with lots of people having issues with Lovefilm.

6. mrm3

mrm3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    then things start to slow down...

make sure if you sign up you get a 3month for price of one deal...

7. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,999
    Thanks for the help.

Couple more questions

1 - Is there a minimum membership period or is it just give one month's notice?

2 - How do you get the 3 months for the price of 1 deal?

Edit - just thought of another

3 - Do Blockbuster rent out computer games aswell?

Thanks,

Nigel

8. Example

Example

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    well i wouldnt say they were quick, im on a dvd and game subscibtion the 1st dvd they sent never came so i had to fill out a royal mail form or pay £20, I filled out the form and I then waited another 5 days for the next dvd to come.:mad:

9. benwillcox

benwillcox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Im using Tesco DVD rental at the moment, they are 'powered by' LoveFilm, but on their £15 per month package you get 3 discs at once - the 2 disc one is only £12 per month.

Cheers,
    Ben

10. Pat_C

Pat_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    You get three at once with LoveFilm for £15.99 a month too.

11. wombar

wombar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I've tried quite a few of the services over the past few years (lovefilm, blockbuster, some of the smaller ones who were bought out etc) and I don't think any of them got it 100% right. Slow turn around, poor availability etc all affected their services.

I was most recently with LoveFilm on a 3 month free trial which was great only because it was free. However, if I had been paying for it, I would have been VERY disappointed. In 3 months, I never got my #1 choice(Children of Men btw). It wasn't a particularly new film and certainly should have been available at least once during that time.

Basically, these services are great if you have time to watch the films and don't really mind what you watch. It's a bit of a lottery and as long as you just want to watch something they're a good cheap alternative to a rental shop.

Personally, I go down my local libraries who have an excellent selection of films and games (better than the local Choices actually) for very good prices. All rentals (inc the new ones) are only £2.20 for a week which is excellent value. Even better are the TV series which are classed a single rental(e.g. X Files season 1 for £2.20). This varies from county to county(my brothers county aren't very good at all), but is worth investigating if you're considering one of these services.

Basically, the online services are great if you just want to watch a film, but to be honest, you might as well just subscribe to all the Sky movie channels if you're going to do that. I like the experience of going down and consciously choosing a film (even if it's pants) rather than being sent one I didn't really want to see in the first place.

Some people (most often new customers) have nothing but good things to say about the online companies. My brother used LoveFilm for 3 months and had a lot of his top picks because he was a brand new customer. I was classed as a returning customer because I had been with a number of the companies Love Film had bought out in the past and thus received none of my top choices.

By all means try out all the services with free trials, but make sure you get what you pay for. I prefer to pay for films I actually want to see rather than watch something for the sake of it.

12. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    quite happily enjoying Blockbusters online service, 3 discs at once, no limit per month, very quick turnaround, and a good few months in and i'm still getting new releases most of the time.....

13. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I've used Lovefilm on and off for several years now. I keep stopping my subscription as I get fed up with the delibrate delays that they build into their system if you are a heavy user. Lovefilm seem to define anybody who can watch and return more than four or five films in a week as a heavy user. They seem determined to keep the number of films that you rent each week set at about three films. To me this seems the complete opposite of the unlimited service that I signed up to.

I keep going back to Lovefilm as its often the only way I can rent some of the more obscure titles that I want to watch (Sky Movies doesn't come anywhere near close for the range of films), but as others have said, just don't expect to get them in the priority you set.

14. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,249
    I was with Lovefilm for some time and then they started getting slower and slower, so they couldn't really call their service unlimited any more. I'm on a much cheaper 3 per month rental with Amazon now and they are fine.

15. Rambles

Rambles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,085
    I joined Screen Select 18 months ago, who then merged with Love Film, and I am happy with the service. I usually renew every three months for £38.22, which allows me 3 discs at a time. I usually get about 6 discs per week.

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  16. GingerTez

GingerTez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I agree with many of the comments about the slow-down of service.

We were with Tesco DVD Rental (powered by ScreenSelect at the time) and they started off with quick turnaround during the trial period but then once I started actually paying for the service there was an immediate increase in the turnaround time. We went from managing 2 complete turnarounds in a week to sometimes 2 in a fortnight. Needless to say we cancelled.

We then got a free 3 month trial from Tesco DVD Rental not long after they changed to LoveFilm (well, after LoveFilm bought out ScreenSelect) and that started to suffer the same problem after a month or so.

Both times we never got our top titles despite being with them for 6 months the first time and 3 months the second time. Also, we had 3 discs with faults (one unplayable, 2 sticking near the end of the film) and the discs were very often badly scratched. Also, in the end we were watching films for the sake of it rather than watching a film because we wanted to - it essentially became a chore.

I don't want to say it was a bad experience but we didn't think it was worth the money. If we got another free trial we'd take it but we wouldn't pay for it.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
    Terry.

17. Rambles

Rambles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,085
    It did go a bit rubbish just after the merger, I complained and got some cashback, but all has settled down now and service has been good for a few months.

18. brian s

brian s
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,222
    I responded to an offer in the Radio Times for Screen Select. The offer was a free DVD and a month's free rental. They were pretty good overall on the rental bit. My choices were a mixture of older, small and French films so maybe there wasn't much demand for these from other punters. All of the discs were badly scratched though. Probably unavoidable with rental. They made recommendations for other titles based on my choices. One was Breakfast At Tiffanys. Not my type of thing at all and I have no idea how they came up with that from my choices.

My real problem with them was over the free DVD. They failed to deliver within the promised time and after a long delay they sent me the wrong DVD. Got the right one in the end but it wasn't worth all the hastle with countless letters and e-mails. I got out as soon as I could.

All the best
    Bri

19. norealplan

norealplan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +733
    I know blockbusters rent blu-rays instore but I can't see them online. Am I being blind or can you only rent them instore?

20. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    i think atm you can only rent HD discs in-store......i'd imagine by Xmas they'll probably do them online.....i guess it all depends on how much the discs cost them.....if they cost BB a lot then they wont rent them online....either that or they'll charge extra, example being i pay £15 a month for 3 films at a time but unlimited rental per month, they'll probably say if you want BR/HD-DVD it'll be £20 a month or only 2 a month plus unlimited normal DVD's etc...

21. Pinju

Pinju

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    I'd have a few reservations against LoveFilm.

Firstly, you will be absolutely bombarded with emails from them advising this film and that film or you've not filled your quota of 20 films to choose from.

It could be me, but if I want to see a film it really will depend on my mood. I wouldn't want to watch The Godfather if I fancied watching Shrek, if you get my drift. So the whole thing isn't quite driven by you...it's entirely up to them.

I cancelled my free subscription and then they continued (or would have done) to charge me because Superman Returns didn't get returned to them...the big problem was I never received it!!!

I'm not saying it's a bad service - not at all, but there are a few pitfalls.

22. Hillskill

Hillskill
    Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,642
    Its ALIVE !!!!

23. wormvortex

wormvortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +443
  24. Hillskill

Hillskill
    Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,642
    Wouldn't it be tempting to have a Username purely for General chat and forever be on Zero posts !

25. sniffer66

sniffer66
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,722

But then you'd get no respect from anyone in GC !

Actually, hang on a minute........

26. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,999
    I used them for a 90 day free trial.

The system is slick, intuitive and generally works well.

My problem is that in those 3 months I never got any of my priority films. Some were new releases but many were over 6 months old.

The other problem is that we never had the type of film to suit our particular viewing mood at the time - might fancy a gory horror and a romcon would turn up for example - we just didn't like the lack of control.

We still gave up Sky Movies but we now use tesco club points to buy Blockbuster vouchers. These are priced at 12 vouchers for £12 and can be used for films (DVD and BluRay) or games.

To be honest we don't manage to watch 12 movies in a month so this way we get the films we want to watch, when we want to watch them (including films on the day of release) and it costs less than a LoveFilm subscription.

Cheers,

Nigel

27. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,483
    As tempting as having both accounts banned ? :devil:

28. sniffer66

sniffer66
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,722
    Can you do that if the IP's are different ?? :devil:

29. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,483
    Don't try me ;)

30. Hillskill

Hillskill
    Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,642
    You would have no such behaviour from Moi ! I live and die by my post count :rotfl: