How does EPG work? (Humax vs Sony)

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by Crispin, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Crispin

Crispin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    On my Humax 8000T it seems very dependent on the channel I'm watching - for example if I want to look at something in 7 days time and that data is currently absent then I'll have to switch to a channel on that MUX for several minutes before the data is uploaded.

On the other hand, my Sony (recent problems notwithstanding) seems to keep the full set of channel information at the ready - and doesn't seem to suffer from the same problems as the Humax.

Is this a design issue - or am I simply coming to the wrong conclusions based on faulty observations?

Also, does anyone know the most recent firmware id for the 8000T - I think Humax have forgotten that there are still many 8000t owners still out there. The 9200 has, for example, a feature to add a couple of minutes to either side of the featured time - be real nice for the 8000T to have the same.

2. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +618
    A point well made there. My 8000T seems very slow on updating some of its EPG and there often seems to be little more that a couple of days ahead. Not much use if you are going on holiday.

My version is dated Aug 18 2005. Since the unit is still given as a current model on the Humax website it seems a long while to go without any tweaks. I agree a margin either side of the preset time would be useful. I'd also like to be able to record radio. I bought the unit to replace a VCR and because I have cable and a tv with Freeview I had no use for 2 tuner models. I paid around £80 for it and still feel it is a quality product that would benefit by some small improvements which, I understand, have been made to its bigger brother.

3. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    You'll find that the Humax does indeed have EPG issues. It takes some time to populate fully, even tho' the Hummy has had a few software updates to correct various issues one of which was EPG population it did little to correct this issue.

If you look on the Humax website you'll find the latest available software to download and then load onto your Humax via it's RS232 link.

4. Crispin

Crispin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    My version is dated 2 Apr 2005 and it *does* record Radio.

5. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +618
    Thanks Crispin. I guess the info in the handbook was out of date. As an avid Radio 4 and 7 listener you have opened a whole new world for me !

6. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    The handbook is only out of date if you have the software that allowed radio recordings. The original release, way back in time when the units were new(ish) this was a failing of the Humax.

7. Graham Cee

Graham Cee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You would find that the Humax 9200T would answer some of your problems as there is an option to add extra time to both before and after recording. Also, the options for saving two programmes at the same time on the larger disk is good. There is still a problem if you want to save many programmes instead of saving to VCR, because even 160mb isn't very big for that kind of thing.
    I have tried saving to VCR from a saved programme/film on the 8000T, without much success, but think that is a problem with my mono VCR and am sure that it is possible and will check this with my new 9200T and Toshiba VCR in the next few days.
    Graham Cee

8. paul-av-tech

paul-av-tech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    From memory the epg is transmitted on page 300 for most freeview receivers.

Sony have the ability to have an epg of 14 days but 'nobbled' the boxes to 7 days to keep them in-line with the rest of the range.

BTW thats why when a download upgrade is corrupted you may have to wait a week before the epg shows a problem. :)