How does DVD-RAM compare to a HD Recorder?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bradavon78, Jul 9, 2005.

1. bradavon78

bradavon78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    I can't find the answer on this forum so I thought I'd ask.

I hear DVD-RAM has advanced editing not found on DVD+RW or DVD-RW. I have two questions:

1. What exactly is the advanced editing?
    2. How does DVD-RAM compare to HD recording?

Thanks

2. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    I don't know about advanced editing, but DVD-RAM behaves just like a small removeable HDD. The only thing you can't do is record directly from DVD-RAM to DVD-R because you've only got one DVD drive (in a standalone recorder). But that doesn't matter because you can high speed dub (copy) backwards and forwards between the HDD and DVD-RAM with no loss of quality.

I've never used DVD-RW or DVD+RW so I can't comment on them.

3. bradavon78

bradavon78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Thanks but I was really referring to DVD Recorders without a HD.

I meant should I be using DVD-RAM instead of DVD- or DVD+R. What does DVD-RAM offer over DVD-R or DVD+R?

When I said DVD-RW and DVD+RW I also meant DVD-R and DVD+R as they essentially the same for the purposes I mean.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,278
    As has been already been stated DVD-RAM acts like a removeable HDD. On a Panasonic unit, for example, HDD and DVD-RAM operation is (virtually) identical. You can timeslip, edit, create playlists etc.

The benefit of DVD-RAM on non-HDD machines is that you get the benefits of a HDD without actually paying for one. Obviously the limitations are that a DVD-RAM has less capacity than a HDD and you are unable to dub from incompatible RAM to compatible DVD-R on your machine as you have no HDD.

On machines with HDDs then DVD-RAMs main use is as a HDD extension, i.e. if you want to archive a series to DVD-R then you might opt to store the episodes on a DVD-RAM until you have the whole set to burn in one go to free up HDD space. It also acts as a high integrity backup.

This is more to do with the file format used than the disc type. Features on DVD-RAM and DVD-RW (VR mode) are effectively the same although there is no uniform technology development in the latter plus it has other issues (not supported natively by Windows XP, not as robust etc).

Have a look at the 'Which DVD Recorder?' link in my signature where this is all explained in great detail!

5. bradavon78

bradavon78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Firstly thanks.

What's time slip? I've been trying to actually find out what it is for a while now.

I could always buy a PC DVD Writer (which supports DVD RAM) and copy the DVD-RAM disc to a DVD-R or DVD+R though right?

I've heard this before but don't know what it means as I can burn and edit on my Windows XP pc using DVD+R or DVD-R? OR do you mean you can edit direct to DVD-RAM using XP unlike DVD+R or DVD-R where you do the editing on the PC first.

I've been reading that page for a while now and while it's very well written and comprehensive it doesn't go into enough detail I'm afraid.

For example no offence to the person who wrote it but for example the section titled "What is the benefit of a Hard Disk Drive inside a DVD recorder?" doesn't really answer the question it sets out to answer.

Sure it mentions you have lack of space on a DVD fine but I would like more detail about the editing advantages of HD over DVD? This is only skimmed over.

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,278
    The ability to watch any part of a recording you are currently making (or any other programme on the disc). With DVD+RW or DVD-RW (Video mode) if you start the machine recording you have to wait until it has finished before you start watching it (just like a VCR). No need to do that for HDD or DVD-RAM.

Yes you can - indeed alot of people do. The 'DVD-RAM to DVD-R' link in my signature explains one method of doing this. However it is a slightly longer winded process than that of a HDD/DVDR combi - although the results can be much better (because you can design custom menus, use animated menus etc).

This just refers to if you use DVD-RW (VR Mode) as found on Pioneer or Sony DVD recorders. As the format is not supported by Windows XP you need driver software (such as ReadDVD!) which can cause conflicts and thus problems. It's not a big deal but something to consider.

DVD-RW (Video Mode), DVD-R, DVD+RW and DVD+R are all supported by Windows natively. Likewise DVD-RAM although you will need compatible hardware (see the DVD-RAM to DVD-R link in my signature).

The editing between a HDD and a DVD-RAM is identical. There is no difference.

7. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Time slip is where you can record a live programme, and watch it in real time but delayed by a certain time. So you could record Eastenders, at 8:00PM and start watching it at 8:10PM and be 10 minutes behind.

There's always alternative methods for doing things. I can edit material on my Panasonic E95, delete unwanted stuff, splice bits together, and then burn at high speed onto a DVD. Of course, you could do this using other equipment, but the question has to be whether you could do it as quickly or as easily ?

8. bradavon78

bradavon78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Thanks guys for your answers.

I've used TMPGEnc DVD Author a few times to convert DivX to DVD (and other formats). It's a great tool.

I was really wondering if I could take a DVD-RAM disc and copy it direct (i.e - No changing as that would be done on the DVD Recorder with the DVD-RAM disc) to a DVD+R or DVD-R say using Nero as that would be nice and simple.

I'm now guessing no as the format is wildly different, right?

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,278
    The format is different - you need a programme that can convert from VR to Video mode. I believe Nero can do this. TMPG Enc Author certainly will - as will several Ulead products.

That's TMPG Encoder - TMPG Encoder Author is a different programme.

10. bradavon78

bradavon78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Thanks again.

I wonder if Nero can do this "on the fly" using the "Copy DVD" function???

The program I have is called "TMPGEnc DVD Author" and looks identical to the screen shots in your link except mine is an older version that isn't dual layer compatible.

The screen shots in said article also call it "TMPGEnc DVD Author". I believe you're thinking of the very different program "TMPGEnc".

That's a good point. I'm guessing no by quite some way.

11. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,278
    TMPG Encoder Author cannot convert from DivX file format to DVD-Video - so I would double check first. But if you have Author then that is great.

12. bradavon78

bradavon78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Sorry my mistake I was forgetting a step in the process I do to convert DivX to DVD. I use TMPGEnc first to convert it to an MPEG-2 compatible DVD file.