1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How does Benq 7700 compare to alternatives?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Lobo, Jul 21, 2005.

1. Lobo

Lobo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Im looking to buy my first projector and was originally thinking of an OPtoma H78 for £3500. However, now I see that Benq have brought out their 7700, it makes me wonder if the H78 would be worth the 2k+ extra over the Benq, especially for a first projector.

Ive demoed numerous projectos including the H77, Screenplay 5700, SIm2 Ht300.

Would anybody be able to give me an idea of how the Benq would compare to each of these? My main concern is black level.

Im starting to think I may be better off with the 7700 and put the money I save towards a better screen and better audio.

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    Hi Lobo,

The contrast ratio of the 7700 is not going to be as good as the Optoma H77/78, and if the brightness is the same (or the 7700 is brighter), that will equate to a darker black on the Optoma. I don't know what the real world contrast ratios are of the other two, but the Sim2 will be better than the Screenplay because they (Infocus) generally make their projectors brighter at the expense of contrast. It's also possible that the Benq will benefit from a colour correction filter and recalibration but that needs the proper equipment or an ISF calibrator like Gordon for this to be done properly and any real benefits achieved.

You can always improve the black level of a projector with a neutal density lens filter or by using a bigger screen, or a grey screen.

Once we've got some real measured figures for the 7700 we can then see how it compares with the other models in real terms. If anyone one in the Surrey area gets one, please let me know as I'd like to have a look at it. :)

Gary.

3. spikerules

spikerules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gary Lightfoot,

I'll be getting my 7700 by next Friday (bank transfer will occur on Monday) and I'm quite near Surrey (J17 M25). I think you're J10/11?. If you would like a look and you're not insane please say so :smashin:

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    Hi Spike,

And if you're not insane I'll be round!!

Sometime in the middle of August will be best for me, so once you've got it settled in and up and running we'll have to arrange something.

Gary.

5. spikerules

spikerules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gary,
    I'll be routing my new NeuNeo HVD2081 that I just bought today:) £128 for a 1080p DVD player! ok so I can't actually get a 1080p signal through the 7700, but at least its kinda future proof ;)

Lobo,
    Have a look at what best suites you. I.E have you had a PJ before, what prices are you looking to spend etc.

I'm getting a 7700, but I'll be the first to admit that the H78 is a better PJ. IMO it's just not £2000 better:) Vlaue for money/performance has to go to the BenQ IMO. The H78 is a step up but not by a major margin.

6. Lobo

Lobo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Spikerules, what would you say were the major differences between the H78 and the 7700? What type of screen are you using?

I would be happy to pay the extra £2000 if it was a large difference. But if we can expect to see that quality of projector come down in price in the near future, it may not be worth spending that much money yet.

7. spikerules

spikerules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lobo,

Have a look at the spec sheets for both here http://www.themescene.tv/ts/PDF/H78/H78_ENG.pdf

and here
    http://presentation-systems.co.uk/pdfs/benq-pe7700.pdf

A few advantages on the H78 are an extra DVI connection, 3500:1 contrast ratio, 5x speed 8 segment colour wheel (good for trying to get rid of the dreaded rainbow fx) and adjustable lens. In comparison the BenQ has only one digital connection (HDMI) and a analogue VGA socket, 2500:1 contrast ratio, 4x speed 6 segment colour wheel and NO adjustable lens ... these are just few of many advantages the H78 has over the BenQ. However, you're right in considering waiting for a price drop, as I think the Optoma will probably have to reduce at least £500-1000 off its price tag if it’s to compete with the 7700!

PS I have no idea as of yet of what screen to get! I'm going to wait for the PJ to arrive and then decide as this will allow me to measure what size screen to get and whether I will need any gain on it:)

8. dunamis

dunamis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I believe the PE7700 also has a 5x speed colour wheel, not a 4x speed. It is however, 6 segment.

Wish I could afford one just now... :)

dunamis

9. Cinematic

Cinematic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's right, as far as I remember PE7700 for PAL runs 250Hz, so 5x speed CW... for NTSC 300Hz.

10. spikerules

spikerules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry you are both right. The 7700 has a 5x speed colour wheel:)

11. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    Spike,

Wait until I get over to see it, and I might be able to tell you what size and gain you'll need depending on what I can measure from it. What sort of size range were yiou thinking of?

Gary.

12. spikerules

spikerules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gary,

Thanks m8 that will be an ideal solution and help me out greatly with my decision. It's been a real pain trying to decide as I have NO idea :confused:

PS I want the biggest I can get:) I'll be sitting around 7ft from the screen if that helps?

13. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    Wow - sitting 7ft from the screen - that's pretty close!

How far back will the projector be?

If you don't want to see the pixel grid, you shouldn't sit any closer than 1.5 times screen width - that means you certainly don't want the screen any wider than 5ft and you'll probably have to use a little defocussing as well - that helps reduce the pixel gaps without effecting the image too much.

Anyway, you'll have plenty of time to watch some movies on it and get an idea of what it's like before I get over to have a look.

Gary.

14. spikerules

spikerules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shouldn't really chat in somone else's topic about this.... so if you want to chat my e-mail and MSN ID is zen39699@zen.co.uk

Thanks again
    Spike