1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how does awg convert to mm

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by gil2, May 11, 2005.

1. gil2

gil2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i was just reading the roger russel web site about speaker wire and using his table i think i need 16 awg cable , how does that convert to our speaker cable , i only know it as Millimetres

also i`m trying to find out what 24/ .2 black/red R1 looks like , i asked an electrician at work to get me a price on speaker wire and he gave me a quote on it as above , but he dosent know what it looks like and if its pliable enough to go round corners under the carpet

2. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    AWG mm
    27 0,36
    26 0,41
    25 0,45
    24 0,51
    22 0,64
    20 0,81
    18 1,02
    16 1,29
    14 1,63

As for the speaker cable? I'm not sure what your friend means. As you can see, the smaller the gauge the larger the cable diametre.
    To give you some idea cat5e is AWG 26. People tend to use at least one cable (containing 8 wires of AWG 26) per channel.
    Something to bear in mind, the thicker the cable the more difficult to get round corners and the more likely you are to damage it making it go round the corners.... Might be worth checking out Maplins. A few people on here rate the speaker cable very highly.

3. gil2

gil2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    fantastic list m8 , thanks for taking the time to do that , i have just done some research on the net and it seems as u would prob already know that 12/.2 and 24/.2 mean 1.2 mm 2 core and 2.4 mm 2 core respective , i`m new so i`m learning

now going on from roger russels site list which says i need 16 awg and your conversion which says 16awg=1.29mm and the price i got from my electrician friend for 12/2 (1.2mm 2 core ) i think that £9.53 is a pretty decent price for 100Mtrs :D and fits the bil well