How does a stranger know my name when I phone them?

Veni Vidi Vici

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last week I was visiting my parents and they needed a plumber. I looked online, found a local one man band so I called him from my iPhone. Mobile to mobile, not via Whattsap or some other app. I’ve never called this person before, and I don’t live anywhere near my parents either, but the plumber knew my name? I asked how they knew and they said it came up on their phone. I don’t mind my number being shown so I don’t want to withhold it but how do I stop my name from displaying on a strangers phone? Is this an iPhone setting or mobile network setting, I’ve been googling but can’t seem to find anythjng. Any ideas?

Last edited:
My local Chinese takeaway always answers the phone with 'Hello Matt!', but I've no idea how either. I shall watch this thread with interest!

My local Chinese takeaway always answers the phone with 'Hello Matt!', but I've no idea how either. I shall watch this thread with interest!

I assume in your case they just have your number saved as a contact with your name as you are a customer.

Sometimes, if I get a call or text from an unknown number I get the message ‘Maybe: xxx’ I think this is done by Apple. Siri maybe... don’t know whether you can turn it off or not.

Edit: found this

Sometimes, if I get a call or text from an unknown number I get the message ‘Might be: xxx’ I think this is done by Apple. Siri maybe... don’t know whether you can turn it off or not.

This was introduced in IOS9. Back then it would go through your mail app.

Let's say Bob sent you an email with his number, but you didnt save him as a contact.
If he calls you you'll see Maybe Bob on a screen.

It can be turned off somewhere in the settings.

Just remember, a stranger is a friend you haven't met!

From that link:

'There are plenty of reasons to not want your phone number showing up when you call someone else. Maybe you just don’t like giving it out to strangers, or perhaps you don’t want the person you’re calling realizing you’re ringing from a foreign number. '

That sounds like a pro-tip from one call centre operator to his brethren :rotfl:

I can't think of a single other person that thinks 'Hmm...Don't want Mum to realise I'm ringing from Norway, better hide my number'.

The above, or TrueCaller which also shows names etc if you or someone else has assigned a description of some sort to your number.

No that’s just withholding your number, I can do that. I don’t mind my number showing up when I call someone but I want to switch off the setting that gives them my name too

If you Google your number does your name come up?

Is it an Apple ID/iCloud thing?
Are you signed into either at the top of the settings?
Was the plumber using an iPhone?

Is it an Apple ID/iCloud thing?
Are you signed into either at the top of the settings?
Was the plumber using an iPhone?

i have no idea what’s giving the info, my phone or the network? Yes I’m logged in iCloud but why would that share my name with someone? I have no idea what phone the plumber was using, I didn’t ask tbh.

Oh well just a thought - I often get the names of calling companies come up on my caller display, which Android/Google has scrapped while the phone is ringing.

When I saw the title of this thread I thought it was going to be one of those philosophical questions like “if a tree falls in a forest does it make a sound....” sort of questions.

Turns out it’s not and I’ve probably drunk too much coffee today

Settings>Your Apple ID at the top
2ADD1A27-5194-4877-B216-61879E653C8B.jpeg

Click on Name, phone numbers...
You’ll see it has your contact details etc. It’s likely it’s picking up your name via this rather than via a normal cellular network.

Try logging out of iCloud & seeing if your name is picked up by the same people again when you call.

I get this on android a lot if I don't have the number stored as a contact. One thing I've been trying to find out is how you add a picture, as some companies I call have their own picture that displays while calling them.

Did you make the call using ‘the phone’ app or did you use an app?
This happens if you use WhattsApp to make calls it may also happen on other apps.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom