Quantcast

how does a Lexicon DC-1 compare these days?

henry1234

Novice Member
I can cope with only 2 digital inputs and S-Video only switching.

I can also cope without 7.1 as I don't have the money or approval for another 2 rear speakers and associated amp.

In view of this how do they compare thesedays?

Is the processing so old and slow that a £200 integrated amp has a better processor stuck in it?

Would a £400 integrated AV amp be a better alternative when used as a processor?

Or how much would you need to spend these days on a new Intergrated Amp to get the equivilant processing quality of the DC-1?

hoppaz

I can cope with only 2 digital inputs and S-Video only switching.

I can also cope without 7.1 as I don't have the money or approval for another 2 rear speakers and associated amp.

In view of this how do they compare thesedays?

Is the processing so old and slow that a £200 integrated amp has a better processor stuck in it?

Would a £400 integrated AV amp be a better alternative when used as a processor?

Or how much would you need to spend these days on a new Intergrated Amp to get the equivilant processing quality of the DC-1?
I don't know but I bid on one today on ebay but it went for £200. I was going to buy it if it went for about £150 to see how the processing compares to the processing my HK 430 amp which also has logic 7. The THX processing would have been a bonus but in the end I could not justfy spending that sort of money to find little or no difference. If anyone could give their thoughts it would be much appreciated.

henry1234

Novice Member
I had a bid set at £150 aswell and it went for £190, which is more than I would pay as well.

Would be nice if anyone can answer this question (and the person answering doesn't happen to be selling one also!)

hoppaz

I had a bid set at £150 aswell and it went for £190, which is more than I would pay as well.

Would be nice if anyone can answer this question (and the person answering doesn't happen to be selling one also!)
I could confidently say that a £400 modern amp wouldn't touch it. I think you bought a rotel 1075 recently in the forums? (the only future route I will take now is a seperate power amp and processor). This alone would match the quality of sound in most of the top end receivers out there (and not a 400 quid one) . Processing although there are many variations the technology hasn't really advanced enough and lexicon stuff is the top end of the market. HK and lexicon are part of the same company (hence the logic 7) and I wouldn't exchange my amp unless i go down your route. I was going to buy the processor to compare with my own amp. The HK stuff is seriously underated in the UK.

I moved from a vsx d2011 with external amps to a dc1v4, using same external amps, as an experiment and it knocked the spots off the pioneer. No way i would go back. I was tempted trying the Rotel 1068 in the classifieds but I'm not convinced it would be a great improvement and we were too far apart price wise for me to take a gamble.

Timmy C

Distinguished Member
Can I assume from your other thread Henry that the DC-1 on ebay was being sold without the remote? I hope that's the case as I had looked at it myself and would have certainly taken it for my second system if I knew it was gonna close at under £200 but the lack of remote would certainly put me off.

I've never heard a DC-1 but I have read many times that the DC-2 isn't far off the MC-1 for movies but not close for music. I currently use an MC-1 and from what I heard a couple of years back when I got it, not even the top of range Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer etc. integrateds were coming close. So if the DC-1 is close to the DC-2 in terms of movie sound then I would feel confident in saying you would still need to spend pretty serious money on an integrated to match it.

Timmy C

Distinguished Member
I just looked in the for sale forum and two DC-1 remotes have just been given away for free so I'm now kicking myself for not bidding on this even if it didn't have a remote!!

One further comment I found stereo very flat and uninvolving and the by pass options on cheaper AV kit may work better for "HiFi" use but the lexicon especially in logic 7 mode is great but no remote would be a nightmare when setting up.

henry1234

Novice Member
The DC-1 on ebay was V3.1.

The guy also emailed me about 4 hours after the auction ended saying it did indeed include the remote (very useful!).

So at £190 it seems a good deal for whoever won. The only problem is he/she was zero rated and only joined ebay to sell the lexicon, so who knows.

Thank you for the comments regarding the DC-1 it's exactly what I wanted to hear and hoped would be true.

Timmy C

Distinguished Member
The seller was in Hayes wasn't he? I could have collected it if he was so feedback wouldn't have been a problem. It's nice to know someone got a bargain though.

kasumi

Novice Member
If you can cough a little more try anf get an MC-1. Better processing again. I used to use a Pioneer 2011 for processing and bought the MC-1 on here. As above, outstanding performance difference, in fact I was very suprised.

There was an MC-1 in the for sale forum on here the other day at ~500 iirc.

Top Bottom