1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How does a contract phone work?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by PhilipVass, May 28, 2004.

1. PhilipVass

PhilipVass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The plan i am looking at costs £9.99 a month line rental, after 12 months is the handset mine to keep?

If i choose to make no calls in a month what happens, cna i go through the year only paying £100 which i paid for my line rental?

Can anyone help?

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    Yes.

Under OFTEL regulations, you can insist on keeping the phone and can even have it unlocked (there will be a nominal fee - maybe GBP20) after 12 months on a contract.

Yes (unless the contract specifies a minimum level of usage.)

3. NewBeetle

NewBeetle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,630
    You own the phone as soon as you receive it, its yours to do with as you wish. The only thing you are signing up for is to say that you will pay for the line rental agreed under the suppliers T&C's for the agreed period. The phone is just an incentive, its yours from day 1. :smashin:

4. PhilipVass

PhilipVass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So if i sign up for a contract and cancel after 1 month i can keep the phone and send the sim card back?

5. NewBeetle

NewBeetle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,630
    Yes of course you can, your perfectly within your rights to do so.

But you will of course have to pay up your agreed line rental from the date you cancel until when the minimum contract period would have ended. Usually 12 months in the UK but some are now 18 months.

There is easy money to be made doing this if you can be bothered. For example I just got a sharp GX30 from Voda website yesterday for free on the cheapest tarif (£15 per month) I can sell it tomorrow for £330, yet the line rental for the full year only adds up to £180. Giving £150 of clear profit. Last week I sold my SE P900 which I got free on Orange for £310.

6. PhilipVass

PhilipVass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suppose if i did it i would want to keep the £180 line rental money safe in the Bank, where did you sell it Ebay? is it worth doing with a bundle of mobiles?...sounds a good money spinner, would the mobiles not require unlocking ect.?

7. PhilipVass

PhilipVass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Few other questions...what do you do with the simcard you get on the contract phone and can i like order 10 sharp GX30's and flog them on ebay £300 a piece...make about £1000 profit?