1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How does 5.1/7.1 work with no sub?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by doctorjuggles, Mar 10, 2005.

1. doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    This question is half about speakers and half about amps/receivers, but I figured that if any settings needed adjusting, it'd be in the amp itself, so I'm posting in here.

What I'd like to know is what effect a floorstanders/cetnre/rear setup will have on a system when a DVD is recorded in 5.1, if the setup has no sub? What happens to the sound that's supposed to be going to the '1' in the 5.1 setup?

I'm trying to find out what the best setup would be for a system that's playing music as well as movies (see my search here), and at the moment separates seem the best bet. I'm looking at some Monitor Audio Silver floorstanders, a centre and a couple of bookshelves or rears for rear surround. Would this work, or is a sub necessary? Does an amp like the RX-V1500 have settings to overcome these issues?

2. MPK

MPK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    That depends on your amp. With most AV amps you can select "None" for the subwoofer, so the .1 sound will go to your other speakers. Of course that only works if your other speakers go down to that kind of frequency. With decent speakers you shouldn't need a sub for music, but for movies it makes a difference. Things like explosions, etc. sounds much more realistic and usually your rear speakers don't have a great range, so their low frequencies will go via the sub.

But as I said, it is not imperative to have a sub, it will work without. Don't know the RX-1500 but I'm pretty sure it will have that setting.

3. lee789

lee789

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I ran my system for years without a sub, initially with large floorstanders which had adequate bass, and more recently with bookshelf speakers (MS902's). I was happy with this.

The main difference in sound is that you wouldn't get the ultra low frequencies which a sub can produce, so your house won't shake as much. But I'm sure the floorstanders you're asking about will go pretty low.

The .1 basically gets sent to your other speakers (usually fronts). You can change this setting on most av amps, tell it you don't have a sub (obviously through the settings menu's, not by talking to it). Also, you can tell the amp not to play the ultra low frequencies which could cause distortion in speakers which can't handle them.

(I'd suggest asking this in the subwoofer forum maybe?)

4. doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Probably a good idea, but you guys seem to have answered my question pretty well as it is. Thanks!