How do you work out what size screen to go with?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Thresherinc, May 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Thresherinc

Thresherinc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I've been perusing the classifieds in these here forums and deciding whether or not to buy a PJ and Screen, I have a HT setup driving a 42" LG which is very nice but doesn't quite hit the spot.

Unfortunately the bug has bitten just as we're preparing to extend the house and then sell it on, we're hoping to move closer to family and extending the house first will realise a bigger chunk of cash.

So, no fancy pelmets or redecoration of the room, this is meant to be a temporary fix and the proper setup will be when we've moved into the new house, good news is I get a lot more budget for the after moving in HT.

Main question I have is how do you work out the screen size?

The PJ will be shelf mounted above our heads, the throw is 3.8m give or take, the screen will be a pull down unless I can eke out enough budget for a motorised one (extension planning is eating a LOT of the budget).

Also SWMBO is worried if the screen is too big at that distance it'll be like sitting on the front row seats at the local Odeon.

I found something called Projection Calculator Classic on Projectors, Projector Reviews, LCD Projectors, Home Theater DLP Projectors at ProjectorCentral.com and the brand appears to make a hell of a difference too.

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  2. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,019
    There are guidelines out there for how far back to sit, based on the screens height.

Many give a range of between two and four times the screen height, or front row to back row (3xSH, plus or minus one SH), THX recommend 2.4xSH for their 'optimal' viewing angle, and 3.68 is where they recommend the back row should be, so that is another more specific range. Where do you like to sit in a commercial cinema?

Assuming you go for a 16:9 screen, if you prefer a safe average seating distance of say, 3xSH, and your eyes will be around 3.5m from the screen surface, you could aim for a 16:9 screen that is around 7 feet wide, and a projector that will be able to fill it from where you will mount it.

What we usually suggest is that you get the projector first, then project onto the wall and watch a few movies at different sizes to see what size you prefer, and then buy a screen to match. If you're going for a 16:9 screen then you might want to watch a few 16:9 movies as they will be the largest/tallest.

Be careful how high you place the screen - if it's too high it can be uncomfortable to watch after a while, so make sure your eye level falls to around a third to half way up the screen.

Gary

3. thechompster200

thechompster200

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have a 92" screen and i sit about 9ft away or just under and i think its fine for that size. Not sure about other sizes though.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. kutsanagi

kutsanagi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    Good advice as always form @Gary Lightfoot. I sit a slight further back, at approx just over 4metres. I've got a 106". I did have a 92" before it. Loved both screens, I prefer the bigger size if I am honest but both look great at that distance.

5. Thresherinc

Thresherinc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Thanks guys,
    I will be following Gary's advice and buying the PJ first to check the sizes.
    My initial thoughts after much searching is to go for one of these Buy Electric Projection Screens in UK – Grand View
    The 9ft one is in the forefront of my thoughts but will see what happens after the test run of the PJ, still need to decide on one of those too, depends what comes up in the classifieds here though.

6. Ringnut

Ringnut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,445
    Also, give yourself time before deciding, watch a few movies if you can. At first it will seem very big but you soon get used to that and end up wishing you'd gone just a bit bigger. How do I know...? I didn't make that mistake the second time. :)

7. Thresherinc

Thresherinc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Was in Richer Sounds this lunchtime discussing projectors, I got an offer I couldn't refuse, a BenQ W1070+ with an open box and zero hours on the bulb for £500.
    It's missing the 3D glasses, but as I consider 3D to be an abomination in its current form I would never be firing it up in 3D.
    Also got another CA Minx X201 to pair up the other one for £200, not a bad days spend.
    :-D

Now to set it up and decide on screen size.

8. Thresherinc

Thresherinc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Bloody hell, built a nice little shelf, ran the cables to it and the verdammte projector just throws onto the ceiling, would need waaaaay too much tilting for it to actually live on the shelf, so a ceiling mount hanging from the shelf it is then.
    ;-)

9. Thresherinc

Thresherinc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Okay, after test firing the PJ I have come to the conclusion that my life would not be complete without a 120" screen, so I bought one, this one in fact https://www.amazon.co.uk/PCW120MET-120-Projector-Screen-Tab-Tensioned/dp/B00CITWBU8 for £149 it's a brilliant temporary screen and when we move I can buy something a little more up market, although I may just end up keeping it and the BenQ together for a Mancave HT and spend a bit more on a living room HT, depends how much space we have when we move house I guess.

10. password1

password1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Just get a tape measurer out and measure how much space you have for the screen.

Then work out where you need to position the projector to fill the screen. If your projector is 3.8m away then normal (non short throw) projector would typically project an image half that wide.

So 3.8m away, your screen could be up to about 2m wide.