How do you work hdmi splitter on sky q.?

I have a Samsung tv and the splitter I the first picture doesn't work..
I got a second one

but how do I connect it to sky q?
16693690077977270443841429348647.jpg

The one in the photo will never work, no idea why they are made!
For the one you linked to, you need an additional HDMI cable to go from your Sky box to the splitter, then a cable from the splitter to the TV and another cable to what ever other device you want to connect.
There's a chance the linked one won't work due to copy protection on the Sky box. I know nothing about Sky boxes so can't suggest an alternative.

What about the sky hdmi cable that goes into the sky box ?. Do I plug that into the output of the hdmi box?

No the sky q box is the source and has a HDMI output. Take a HDMI lead from that and plug it into the HDMI input on the splitter.

Then plug a cable into output 1 on the splitter then plug it into one of the HDMI inputs on the Tv.

Then another HDMI cable into output 2 and to the other device.

Both devices should be cable of displaying the same resolution and picture formats otherwise you will get the lowest picture quality on both devices.

Also need to be careful of how long the HDMI leads are as depending on the resolution eg 4k you might have issues with cables over 5m

Also that splitter only supports HDMI 1.4 so won’t support 4k on sky q as that needs at least 2.0

HDMI 1.4 supports 4k@30 which OS not what sky q uses

Sorry the question was the purple hdmi out I thought that was only for the sky hdmi.. the sky into the out of splitter?

Yes that purple one, stick HDMI cable into that and the other end into the splitter input.

What's that message from?

Can you please tell us what you are trying to achieve and need to include

1) Model of TV 1
2) Model of TV 2 (or display)
3) Length of HDMI cables involved
4) What settings are you using on Sky Q (1080p, 4k, 4k HDR)

I'm.trying to download onto DVD player..
Samsung tv
I don't know thd settings on sky

I'm.trying to download onto DVD player..
Samsung tv
I don't know thd settings on sky

You can't download onto a DVD Player, as it's a DVD Player and can't record.

If you mean it's a DVD recorder then these were typically to record from an aerial tuner or analogue video inputs.

If want to record\backup a program from Sky Q onto a DVD Recorder again, that won't happen over HDMI. The HDMI socket on the DVD side is an output, not an input. Then there is High Definition Copy Protection (HDCP) which is designed to stop what you are trying to do.

You need to give model numbers in cases like this as the advice will depend on this, but by the sounds of it you can't do what you want regardless.

Possibly but again it depends on whether the HDCP was observed, which in reality it won't be. It's against the forum rules to discuss the circumvention of copy protection.

Then it's not going to work but again model numbers can often help with these type of questions.

The copy protection is designed to stop you doing this in and you cannot plug a HDMI cable from the Sky Q output into the DVD recorder output. It's like trying to drive down a one way street the wrong way.

Copy protection aside - going from HD to SD without expensive kit can be a little nasty.
I've tried (more out of interest than any problem solving) to go HD to SD from video cameras using an HDMI to composite/scart converter and the basic one's you find all over Amazon and eBay aren't great...

Thinking about legalities. Sharing/selling/'public' showing etc is illegal - we know that.
However, 'timeshifting' as it's now known is acceptable and we all first started doing it on magnetic tapes which are removeable media. So presumably hooking a Sky/Virgin/BT/Whatever box to a VHS recorder or a DVD recorder for personal use for timeshifting should still be legal?

Yes except it won’t over work over HDMI as there is no HDMI input on a DVD recorder (normally)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom