how do you wire in three downlights (mains v)

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by nealj, Feb 22, 2005.

1. nealj

nealj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive bought a set of three mains voltage downlighters and a 4 terminal junction box but i dont know how to connect the the three cables from the downlighters to the supplying feed wich is the end wire from the previous single light bulb arrangement.the junction box has four terminals and i dont know how to wire the four cables together in it . Help Appreciated either here or mail me [email protected] thanks :hiya:

2. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Just wire them like to like - you should only need 3 terminals in the JB.

But I wonder if you are really stating the question correctly. Is the existing light just on the end of a single twin+earth cable at the rose? or is it wired on the loop-in/loop-out method with a separate switch drop? - in which case there will be three (or two if it is the last rose on the circuit) cables going into the rose.

Frankly, this is such a basic wiring question that I would seriously suggest that if you don't know how to do it, you get a friend who does to help, or employ an electrician, for your own safety.

(no, I'm not an electrician!)

3. nealj

nealj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive changed light fittings sockets and switches thats my electrical limit so far. what thrown me was there dosent seem to be enough room on the terminals in the jb for four wires each of 1.5mm.the obvious thing is to wire like for like but then that leaves a terminal spare so just wondered if there is another method wich uses all four terminals in the jb

4. CDphobe

CDphobe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I have to say I'm entirely in agreement here. I suspect that the four wires would be earth, neutral, live and switched live, and whilst adding the three downlighters would be easy if this is the case, explaining which wire is which and what to do with them is a little tricky without the ability to point and say "THAT one". And if we got it wrong, or you misunderstood, your next of kin would not thank us! Welcome to the forums Neal, but for your own sake I'd have to agree you need to find a clued up mate who's local, or bite the bullet and get a Sparky in.

Al

5. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Well, you don't need 1.5mm cable for the final run to each downlighter - 1.0mm is enough. The other way to do it is to use a separate small junction box above each of the downlighters and daisy-chain them on the 1.5mm cable. You can strip the cable without actually cutting the conductor and by removing the screw from the JB terminal lay the bare section through. Then you just have to connect the cable from the downlighter - this gives you only two conductors on each terminal and should be OK. see piccy

Attached Files:

• jb.gif
      jb.gif
      Size:
      5.9 KB
      Views:
  6. andybed

andybed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The easiest way to wire up downlighters is usually in a loop-in loop-out method. This involves connecting the live from the switch (switched_live), the neutral and the earth to any of the 3 downlights (which ever is more convenient). You then run twin and earth from this downlight (via the same terminals on the downlight) to the next downlight and then the same again to the next downlight. The final downlight will only have one wire in each of the switched_live,neutral and earth terminals.

7. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Provided there is physically room to get the cables into the downlighter/terminal block itself, yes. Otherwise use multiple junction boxes as illustrated in my previous post.

But it's neater, and easier from a maintenance/repair point of view to use individual junction boxes as then you can disconnect any individual light without putting the others out of use. It's also less fiddly to wire.

8. nealj

nealj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks dave hk the daisy arrangement sounds perfect,so il go for that .there isnt enough room on the downlight terminal blocks to loop in and out because when i bought them this was my original intention,but when i found out it couldnt be done i got stuck so turned to here as you do.ive been laid off work today so im giong to wire them in il let you know later how it goes .cheers

9. Moser

Moser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wired in 12 mains GU10's 50W in my living room.
    Nice bright light, but I added a varilight remote dimmer today and it gets overloaded and switches off!.
    Any solutions?
    like lower power bulbs?
    Is there a great difference in light intensity?

What about the LED versions or the low energy GU10's?

Thanks.

10. crashav

crashav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Moser,

Have a similar problem with 9 LV 50W on individual transformers in my living room with a varilight dimmer (see my thread under my name).

Only solution I can think of is to wire the circuit up to 75% of the maximum rated voltage of the dimmer.

This means I am having to install 3 additional switches (250W each) and connect 3 50W lights to each. As they are on 60W transformers it means that I will be loading 180W on each switch so should be ok.

Just need to break news to builder that he needs to destroy the fresh, new ceiling he has just plastered and painted... and before he tries to fob me off with a 1000W dimmer!!

Will let you know how I get on.

cheers

11. danhag

danhag
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi i am doing the same thing but with 5 lights is it ok to use the daisy chain and does the end have to be connected
    on the last one