How do you use 16:9 screens?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Stuart Wright, Feb 8, 2003.

1. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,461
    I currently have :
    £30 radeon LE running
    TheaterTek at 1280x720 via
    Powerstrip into my
    Barco 1209 out to
    8 foot electric Ellie 4:3 screen.

The default settings on TheaterTek fills the 4:3 screen with the PC desktop and puts the widesceen movies 8 foot wide bang in the middle of the screen.

I want to upgrade my screen (since my current one has a noticable crease) and static 16:9 solutions have been suggested since static Stewart 16:9 screens, while still being wildly expensive, are *just* within my reach.

How do you HCPC guys run your systems with 16:9 screens?

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I Just powerstrip to a 16:9 res (in my case 800x450) then let everything just use the desktop resolution..... admittedly i dont know how theatretek will respond to this, but i use both dscaler and H3D which both respond exactly as expected..... when i come across a fullscreen source, i simply have black bars at the side without any adjustment.

ad

3. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    run an ae100 at 852x480 : forced resolution in powerstrip.
    16x9 is the "master" format if you like and 4x3 material is padded and inset into the 16x9 screen. Software used is Theatertek , Dscaler and powerstrip of course.

Basically its just like an everyday 16x9 TV. Downside is 4x3 materal is downscaled slightly. ( not too bothersome to be honest). Works great the idea of a native 4x3 unit now seems very clunky.

On a crt I assume you just squish the raster to give a 16x9 image up till the limits of scanlines overlaping and if thats the case you have to either drop the res or involve a bit of rescaling and padding to map 16x9 into your ,as squished as possible ,but still not quite 16x9 raster?

Or you could just live with some dead picture top and bottom beyond the 16x9 screen : crt shouldn't put out any light in black and the crt projector will just operate in 4x3 mode all the time and ensure you are runnign at a high enough res for it not to be a problem. Course you'll need to remap any 4x3 material into the 16x9 picture area that your screen area will be ... not too sure how you'd do this on an HTPC in this mode.

Then there's always an optical unsquish solution: panamorph whatever not sure about the quality of these though and you'll need to pull it out the way for 4x3 unless there is a way of squishing 4x3... not sure how TT handles this scenario. And then you've got resolution and scaling issues to worry about too.

4. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,758
    I haven't got powerstrip on my htpc, because all I do is use Zoomplayer to fit the 16:9 image on my screen (which isn't central to where the hypothetical 4:3 screen would be), or use WinDVD and YXY for the same results.

I crop a 4:3 image in much the same way a widescreen tv set to 'zoom' would do, except I lower the 4:3 image a little so that the heads don't get cut off so much. :)

Powerstrip seems like an easier option though to be honest.

Gary.

5. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    MY HS10 at 1368*768, Theatretek outputs the picture as its original format either 16:9, or 4:3 in the middle of the screen with black bars automatically. I dont remamber if I ever told it to that I had a 16:9 screen, I dont think so but maybe thats the default.

Dscaler you set the aspect of your screen and then manually switch 16:9/4:3.

As you are running the barco at a native widescreen resolution of 1280*720 isn't it just a case of seeting a 16:9 shaped bank and then the software does the rest? Dont know much about CRT's :(

6. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    Think you might need to tell the OS you have a 16x9 monitor for it to output a 16x9 image. The sony W900 is a good one to select.

7. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    With XPsp1 you can use the standard windows driver and just uncheck the box that says "hide resolutions that this monitor cannot display". Easy!

8. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    Yep but for some reason this didn't work for me in W2K : I had to select the sony monitor for monitor type before it would accept the powerstrip forced res . Maybe this wouldn't be an issue with standard non-forced 16x9 resolutions though.

9. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Maybe the driver is diiferent in XP?

10. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    CRTs can run at any resolution, but I think [email protected] (R1) and [email protected] (r2) are good for a 9" CRT in 16:9 mode. You simply make the CRT raster fit the screen. In Theater Tek you will need to resize the various aspect ratios to fit properly (remember to save them as defaults using the config menu).

11. henry1234

henry1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I'm researching PStrip settings at the moment.

I realise my NEC 6pg (oversized 7inch crt) cannot resolve the resolutions you mention.

I think I need 1280x720 ntsc and 1024x576 for PAL.

Can you explain why you list 1440 as the horizontal res.

I understand the 960 (480x2) and 864 (288 x3) but how do you get to 1440?

You answer should help me figure things out on my own.

12. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    720*2 for standard 720*480 resolution ;)

13. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,461
    Guys, I really am stupid.
    I've just realised that I normally only extend the screen part way down anyway and 1280x720 is 16:9 anyway.
    Any when I watch 4:3 Operation Mindcrime yesterday it dawned on me that the Threatertek player was putting the image in the middle of the screen rather than using all of the 4:3.
    So all I need to do is replace my current 4:3 with a 16:9 and I'm there.

14. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    :blush: