How do you turn you Sub Off when it's behind an AT Screen?

Rocketrazor

So I'm thinking different things through about trying to get a dedicated home cinema setup with an AT screen and the sub behind that as well. One thing I have thought is how to turn off the sub when finished. Currently I have a BK P12-300sb in my lounge which features the auto standby function. I use power the switch to turn off the sub at night and then power off at the mains. On the one occasion I forgot to turn off at the sub and went direct to the mains I nearly **** myself with the pop thinking I had broken it for sure, I'd had it 2 weeks! Thankfully I hadn't. So for those with a dedicated setup and the sub out of site/reach, how do you turn it off when finished?

Cheers

Rocket

fatboy frank

Distinguished Member
I don't turn mine off, just use the auto on/off feature or always on, you could use a smart plug, or i used to use a Belkin smart extension block that allowed you to power off everything when you powered down whatever you'd got connected to the "master" socket.

Upvote 0

Mr Wolf

I still have a REL Q100 (class A/B amp) with no auto on/off feature that I've left switched on since 1997. I had to replace the driver a few years ago due to foam rot but the amp still works perfectly.

My other subs all have auto off/on modes.

Upvote 0

Rocketrazor

wow, that's a long time! I wasn't aware of the on/off mode being so frequent, though I have mainly been looking at the BK range!
Cheers

Upvote 0

Mr Wolf

You may therefore be interested to know that my Q100 was actually made by BK for REL. In fact it was BK that supplied me with the replacement driver.

Upvote 0

AmericanAudio

AVForums Sponsor
Using the auto on/off works, but I had a client a few years back would often sleep in the tv room with the tv and surround system on low. Then every now and again the volume would hit just the right level to wake the sub with a Whoooph, and wake him up!

Solution was to leave the sub on all the time.

Alternatively, if you are looking for new kit, use a passive sub and external amp.

Upvote 0

Rocketrazor

Using the auto on/off works, but I had a client a few years back would often sleep in the tv room with the tv and surround system on low. Then every now and again the volume would hit just the right level to wake the sub with a Whoooph, and wake him up!

Solution was to leave the sub on all the time.

Alternatively, if you are looking for new kit, use a passive sub and external amp.
Ha ha, thats rather funny!
Showing my sub knowledge (very much lack of) when I've looked at BK, SVS, XTZ i get the impression there all Active with their own amp because that makes them better, passive subs aren't as good. Is that correct? I put passive subs down as a light jab rather than the knockout punch you get from an active sub

Upvote 0

fatboy frank

Distinguished Member
Ha ha, thats rather funny!
Showing my sub knowledge (very much lack of) when I've looked at BK, SVS, XTZ i get the impression there all Active with their own amp because that makes them better, passive subs aren't as good. Is that correct? I put passive subs down as a light jab rather than the knockout punch you get from an active sub
Far from it in fact, that's like saying a washer/drier is better than separate's ....or in AV talk
That an AVR is better than going Pre/Pro. A lot comes down to convenience and box count.

Upvote 0

Amoku

I use a smart plug which works great and is also customisable by time and routine. Not because I have it behind a AT screen, but because I'm too lazy to crawl across the bed to the end where the subwoofer is.

I find the auto on/off is terrible and either turns on for no reason or just ignores the apocalyptic chaos of explosions on screen.

Upvote 0

Rocketrazor

I use a smart plug which works great and is also customisable by time and routine. Not because I have it behind a AT screen, but because I'm too lazy to crawl across the bed to the end where the subwoofer is.

I find the auto on/off is terrible and either turns on for no reason or just ignores the apocalyptic chaos of explosions on screen.
When you use the smart plug though, if your not turning off your sub using the sub's power on/off button don't you get a loud pop from the sub?

Upvote 0

Rocketrazor

well I thought id broken the sub when I did mine, thats how loud my pop was. I was half expecting to see a hole in the speaker!

Mine also makes a slight noise when in standby mode, so I end up getting up to turn it off anyway. Only once has mine turned off during a film, Tinker Bell, not much base in that film!

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung HW-S60A + LG SP8YA soundbar & KEF LS50 Wireless II Reviews: Movie & TV Show News & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom