How do you transfer Video to dvd??

G

Gemz1982

Hi, dont know if this is the right forum, so redirect me if it is.
I have a load of films on video and was wondering if there was a way to transfer them onto DVD without having to re-buy them??

Thanks

Any DVD recorder will allow you to connect a video player to it via the scart socket and will record anything, but not pre-recorded films as they are copy protected.

Most of the films i've got are shop bought.

Is there anyother way around doing it that way, or is there a way of doing on computer??

There may be ways, but it is not legal and we aren't allowed to discuss how to get around Macrovision copy protection on the forums, although a quick search in Google would probably give you more information ;)

As John G says, it's illegal but even if there are ways around it, you'll still end up with just a digital copy of a (relatively poor quality) analogue tape.

You will almost certainly get significantly improved picture and sound quality from a bought dvd movie compared with the same movie on analogue VHS tapes (am assuming that's what you mean by 'on video' as there are also digital VHS tapes around) or a VHS tape copied to a dvd.

I recently compared my old Star Wars tapes with the new DVD boxset and the dvds are simply leagues ahead in quality. Would suggest you pick a couple of favourites to 're-buy' and see what you think. Up to you re. any others!

I've connected a VCR to both my old Lite-On LV5045 and my current Toshiba RD-XS34, running it in through AV2.

In both cases I've copied video to HD / DVD with no problems at all, including shop-bought pre-recorded films.

Buy the DVDs! They're are so cheap these days, & are SO much better quality than VHS, plus have all those lovely extras!

But what if the tape aren't available on DVD? I've got loads of anime from companies that are no longer with us and I want to have them on disk.

There are a number of web sites that offer ways to remove macro vison.
That is probably about as far as I can go on the forum. You just need to know what to actually put in to the search engine and how to word it.

Dave.

aka_Gilo said:
I've connected a VCR to both my old Lite-On LV5045 and my current Toshiba RD-XS34, running it in through AV2.

In both cases I've copied video to HD / DVD with no problems at all, including shop-bought pre-recorded films.

Did you need a special cable or some box or other. I too have loads of shop bought VHS tapes I would like to transfer but I am having difficulty in transferring even a home made DVD onto my Pioneer hard drive.
The Pioneer manual says some DVDs made on another recorder or PC may not work. I can play them but not copy onto the hard drive to then make discs to pass on to other family members. Is there any way round this as my family here and abroad would like to send each other family DVD's recorded on our respective DVD recorders.
Any advice would be gratefully received.

I would suggest you set up the VCR to the DVD recorder first and give it a try, some shop bought videos don't have macrovision. I know some BBC ones don't as I have successfully copied them without the aid of a macrovision defeating box that I already have.

I have also just copied a video to DVD which actually said filmed with macrovison but copied fine, I can only assume it must have been a pirate copy but came with an official sticker and carton.

If you get what seems to be a brightening and then darkening of the picture you will know it is filmed with macrovision so to copy these properly you will need a little box or special scart lead to enable you to do this.

I suggest you try google, we are not allowed to give you anymore info than that.

Regards,

Martin

Thanks for that Martin. I know I can purchase equipment re macrovision, however I am more concerned about not being able to share home made dvd's with other family members. do you think the macrovision stuff would work with the home made DVD's. I was wondering if there is a fault on the Pioneer as the discs family have sent are R- (same as my recorder) and have been finalised to enable playback on other players so you would think I could copy onto my hard drive. The manual does not help, just says it might not play if recorded on another machine or PC. - Wish I had known all this before I bought it, seemed too easy!

I am very disapointed as that was one of the main reasons to buy a recorder - transferring VHS tapes would be an added bonus.

Not sure about the Pioneer, I have a Toshiba RDXS34 and think I have copied a DVD to the HDD OK without any problems although free ones with a newspaper won't copy direct to the HDD. If I want to copy a DVD (only for my own use mainly in the car for the kids) I use a cheapo player and put it through an "ACE" signal processor to the Tosh.

I am sure I have read somewhere that DVD recorders can be quite choosy about what they want to copy even if the DVD does not have macrovision it somehow thinks it is still copy protected.

My only solution if they don't copy is to but a cheapo DVD player and use that or borrow one if possible.

Best regards,

Martin

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom