How do you store your vinyl collection?

crazyshady

I may need to buy a new unit soon to accomodate my collection. One thing i did do to lessen the amount of room taken up by 7" singles was rather than having them side by side along the shelf was i turned them round the other way so that they were still upright but the front cover was facing me and strangely enough i kind of like this as i can flick through them easily and find the record i want easily.

Another thing i was thinking of doing was putting new singles and albums in PVC sleeves, i already do this with albums but i was wondering if it was worth doing with singles. I don't know the correct way to store records in PVC sleeves but i have mine stored so that the spine of the record is at the opening of the sleeve so it's easy to read what each record is and then the opening of the record sleeve is completely covered so no dust can get in. I used to use polythene sleeves but fell in love with PVC ones. For gatefold albums they are ideal but for singles, i find the edges of both the polythene sleeves and PVC sleeves cover the spine so it isn't as easy to read the labels, i guess because they are 'thinner'. I also have a lot of promotional singles and they have nothing on the spines at all, just labels on the front so there is no way for me to know what is on them unless i take the actual record out and look at it and to be quiet honest some of them, even though they are maybe only 5 or 6 years old, have never been stored in sleeves and i'm thinking is it even worth it putting them in new sleeves or just leaving them as they are. Also i keep my albums and singles separate so rather than having it all look weird i've just been putting my singles that are in PVC sleeves beside my albums. I suppose i just want to make some changes and i'm not sure how to do it. If it's worth buying new protective sleeves for my older records or just make sure anything new i buy from now on is protected.

Mr Pig

It is usually best to keep your records in the house. The shed is less good and the garden not good at all, The cardboardy bits get wet, the sun bleaches the reds out and slug trails are pig to get off.

Also, try to keep your records away from vinyl heathen. Children, women, animals and drug addicts. To a child, the best fun to be had with records is in removing all of them from their cardboard and using them as steppingstones across the carpet. Animals chew them, addicts cut their weed or coke on them and women see them as an imposition occupying valuable space that could more usefully contain a large Buddha-shaped candle holder. Perhaps the most insidious threat, a woman will do far worse than throw your records out. She'll nag you until you throw your records out!

The correct way to keep records? Keep them at all I'm already impressed!

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
LP's are stored vertically in custom made enclosed shelving (110cm high unit with 3 shelves), with the shelf 1cm less deep than the LPs to simplify removal. Total occupied shelf length: 7.6m. CDs are stored similarly (7 shelves in 110cm). I have no 7" singles, but the same concept would apply.

A flip box is good for shop display, but I'd have though it a very bad idea for long-term storage. Since the records are leaning a little, rather than held absolutely upright, gravity will apply and thereby distort the record over time. LP's mostly have a readable spine, and since I keep the LP's sorted and catalogued, finding something is easy. Your promotional singles may well make locating an item more difficult.

Gramophone magazine has regular advertisements from manufacturers of storage systems for vinyl and CD.

windhoek

I use an Expedit storage unit from Ikea like the one pictured below. It comes in a variety of colours, shapes and sizes and unlike bespoke vinyl storage, it's relatively cheap and adequately stylish too. Depending on the amount of gate-fold sleeves and vinyl quality (130g or 180g), you should get between 50-60 LPs per space.

expedit-shelving-unit-brown__0086571_PE215404_S4.JPG

Last edited:

Mr Pig

I got an old joiner to make me up a nice record cabinet years ago. He made a lovely job of it but most of the guys with the skills and patience to do stuff like that are fossilised or dead by now. I used to have records sitting in piles and up the loft in boxes but these days I only keep what I can fit in the cabinet. Even of those, relatively few will ever get played again so if I know I'm never likely to play something again I just get rid of it.

I know people with THOUSANDS of records. What's the point of that? To listen to them all would take more years than you'll live!

crazyshady

My records are as upright as they can be. One problem i do have is with picture discs, the corners usually and end up bending so i usually have picture discs inbetween other records to keep them upright. I've realised now that if i got a bookshelf to put all my other stuff on such as books then that would free up another shelf. I think i have around 100 12" singles on one shelf, maybe more and i would say another 5 or 6 and that will be that shelf completely full. If i get a bookshelf i can then move my 7" singles, maybe 50 or so onto that top shelf and then that leaves me with half a shelf for any albums i may buy or new 12" singles.

Do you guys put everything in protective sleeves? Right now when i buy new 12" singles i feel as though i need to put them in PVC sleeves to protect the artwork since it's new but i put them on the shelf with my albums otherwise i think it would look silly, or would it? Even now i do get a lot of promo singles or DJ singles which are not available in retail stores and i don't put them in sleeves, i don't know why. These ones come in just a plain black sleeve or plain white one, vinyl is heavy though but i know it's not 180gm. As far as my other promos go and my American singles, they all have stickers on the front telling you the names and tracks etc. There's no way i can tell by looking at the spine which is which. I did try and arrange it by artist but there's no way i could memorise it.

For a long time i hated polythene sleeves but i do have a private collection and all i use for it is those because the records can slide in and out easily. The PVC sleeves are more sturdy and they stay cleaner and the records generally fit inside them well. One problem is they can stick together! So it's not always easy removing a record from the shelf, maybe because their new i don't know. It shouldn't be hard, i should be able to just walk over and lift anything i want off the shelf. I think i just want it to look nice and i don't know the best way of doing it and i don't know if it's worth the cost of putting every single record i have into a brand new PVC sleeve and then trying to arrange it all in an order that i can understand and like. Right now when i buy a new record i just stick it to the end of the last one i bought.

crazyshady

No i enjoy listening to my music. I just don't know what to put in protective sleeves or how to organise it in a way that i am happy with.

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member
I keep mine in record boxes like this as most are in the loft.
They use to be out on shelfs or laid flat in boxes but since we've move a couple years back, they have been in those storage boxes ever since.

I do have a cabinet to put some in when i get a new TT or repair the one i have (more than likely invest in a new one as the repair price is mind boggling)

I use to keep them up right but found if not used for a fair while and not sufficiently packed, they become warped. So i either i lay them flat or if upright, tightly packed.

simandsan

Standard Member
I've kept my 7 inch singles in protective covers in a box for a good twenty years, all upright and leaning against each other and stacked on top of each other, never noticed a problem with them becoming warped myself.

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
Many LPs came in a cardboard sleeve with a decent antistatic plastic inner sleeve or paper-covered plastic. These were left.

Some came with more flexible plastic inner sleeves and some in paper sleeves. These inner sleeves were replaced with decent antistatic polyethylene inner sleeves. Sleeve City is an obvious source.

Last edited:

SirDoss

I keep mine in a plastic storage box. You can pick them up cheaply enough in B&Q or Asda. I went for the clear box rather than yellow that they usually come in so it doesn't look too imposing. Funny enough, I'm going to have to buy another very soon, filled one since Xmas.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom