How do you stop the PW9617 defaulting to "Super Zoom"??!?!

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Nick23, Jun 11, 2002.

1. Nick23

Nick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is really starting to annoy me now. Every time I change channels on my TV (Philips pw9617) the picture format automatically changes to super zoom! I normally have the picture format set to widescreen, and have even turned off the automatic picture format option in the menu, but it keeps changing the screen format.

The interesting thing is, if you change the format to e.g. 4:3, then change channel it doesn't change. It appears as though the "widescreen" picture format is the only one that changes back to superzoom when changing channels.

Does anyone know how to stop it from doing that?
    Thanks

2. Barry_X

Barry_X

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I have noticed this too and I have turned off the auto picture format in the main menu as well. Got no idea why it happens..........anyone else?

3. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Philips didn't teach their TV's any better. There isn't anything to do about it except to force Philips to take the firmware back to school. In other words, it's impossible.

The TV knows not of the transmission of an anamorphic picture without a trigger signal. The poor thing thinks that if you choose the wide setting on a 'non-wide' transmission, you're doing it just because you're a fullscreen buff with a very bad sense of geometry. Then it will try to help you by defaulting to Super Zoom.

Likewise, the TV has no understanding of 2.35:1 letterbox. It will use inverse Super Zoom to blow the image up to fill the screen from top to bottom, screaming 'yaaaaaa!' before planting a firm leg in an arbitrary spot of the cinematographer. Think Begbie in Trainspotting. That kind of scream.

Those are just a few of the little gems Philips hid in their TV's :p