How do you set a laptop to turn on via the keyboard?

Discussion in 'Computer Peripherals & Consumables' started by bradavon78, May 5, 2007.

1. bradavon78

bradavon78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Okay so I'd like to keep my Toshiba laptop shut and access it via a keyboard/mouse/monitor.

But when I press any of the keys on the keyboard to turn the laptop on from hibernation it doesn't do anyting. I can only find one option in the Toshiba software but otherwise nothing, nothing in Windows Vista, nothing in the BIOS.

Any ideas??? Thanks

2. Stompy

Stompy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Generally waking from hibernation is done using the power button since the system is in a power off state. You'd only be able to do it using the keyboard if such a function was included in the system BIOS. I've seen this on many PC motherboards but not on many laptops.
    :)

3. bradavon78

bradavon78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Yeah I reckon you're right. My old motherboard could do it (in my old pc obviously) :( . That could even turn itself on at a certain time so it was always on when I got home from work.

It wouldn't be so bad if they put the power button in a decent place, what's wrong with on the side??? I guess the assumption is you're more likely to do it with a desktop PC.

Thanks