How do you remove scuffs?

Evokazz

Prominent Member
Reaction score
We have had a 2012 Kia Ceed 3 CRDi for a few weeks now and fallen in love with it. It has a couple of minor cosmetic issues that are easily fixed, but one thing that's driving me insane is the passenger side dashboard (where airbag is and glove box area). There are about 6 or 7 scuff marks. I was about to type scratches, but they aren't scratches, they are just lines on the dashboard surface like previous owner has rubbed something against it a few times.

I went into Halfords and showed the guys there, and they said it could deffo be sorted but the product to do it wasn't in stock, however they never told me name of said product!!

So is there anything I can buy to mask these scuffs? If so what's likely to work? I am a DIY novice, so hoping there is something I can just spray and wipe???

Do you have any photos? What material are the scuffs on.

Theses could be where the dash is deliberately "thinned out" or weakened so the air bag can penetrate it ? Some times it can appear ribbed in this area .

No it's deffo previous owner damage/wear, here are some pics, what can I do to tidy it up somewhat?
7MHF40u.jpg

I'd try some non-gloss dashboard wipes to start with.

Very difficult to do anything with those marks due to the textured surface. You're likely to make it look more obvious if you rub the area around it with anything.

I've tried the wipes already plus gave it a good clean with Autoglym dash cleaner, any other ideas?

The scratches will likely have "stretched" the plastic surface causing the discolouration. I would think that the only option would be replacement panels.

Sometimes heat from a hair drier will allow the plastic to even out again . This works well on old grey bumpers so it could work for your dash ?

They look like the type of scuffs that occur from a shoe. I've seen this on our cars when someone crosses their legs in the front passenger seat and catches their feet on the dash. I haven't ever tried to remove them though.

So other than a professional looking at it there's nothing over the counter that will sort it? Is it something you could remove Marky? Only asking as I am in NW too.

Sometimes heat from a hair drier will allow the plastic to even out again . This works well on old grey bumpers so it could work for your dash ?
Might work but anyone trying this should be aware that the airbag module lurks beneath. 99 times out if 100 I'm sure it is fine but don't forget the airbag includes an explosive. :)

Good point.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom