1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you rate the Babylon 5 movies?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by west, Oct 20, 2004.

1. west

west

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    after reading a review for the Babylon 5 movies collection on region 1 DVD I thought I would ask Babylon 5 fans to put the movies and pilot into your order of preference.

The movie titles and pilot title are:

The gathering (Pilot) in the beginning, A River Of Souls, Third Space, A Call to Arms.

which is best or worst? which do you love or hate? which are just OK?

2. zantarous

zantarous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    In the Beginning - Nice to watch once you have seen the series

A Call to Arms - This one is a bit hit and miss but still entertaining

The Gathering - Most people think it is poor but I really like it, it was good enough for me to give B5 season 1 a chance when it first aired in C4

Souls - Oh dear we are going down hill, a funny B plot though

Thirdspace - Not a favourite of mine I have only seen it twice and there is something just not quite right about this. But it does have one of the funniest B5 moments with Zack and Lyta in the lift.

3. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I love the series, but I thought that the movies were all really poor, with the exception of 'In The Begining', which I think is rather good.

I've got series 1 - 4 boxsets and waiting for 5, but I not really interested in a box set of the movies - although someone has mentioned on a previous thread that 'In The Begining' will be released with a DD5.1 soundtrack as opposed to the current dolby surround - but I can't really justify buying a box set just for that.

4. bom bom

bom bom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I love In The beginning and A Call To Arms equally.

I too also think that Third Space is very good leaving A River Of Souls(rather average, nothing special) a long way behind that and languishing a long way behind that is the gathering, which quite frankly is a lacklustre pilot but one you have to own to complete the collection

5. west

west

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's very close between my top 3 as theyre all great but it seems alot of people didnt like third space much, strange?

A Call to Arms
    Third Space
    in the beginning
    A River Of Souls
    The gathering (Pilot)

6. anephric

anephric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Are we counting The Legend of the Rangers? Cos that stinks up the place.

7. zantarous

zantarous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Why not but I am sure it would be at the bottom of everyones list, it really is rubbish

8. bom bom

bom bom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree that legend of the Rangers was poor but like the gathering was not a real Babylon 5 movie. Legend of the Rangers was meant to be a pilot episode to eventually be made into a series and in that respect it wasn't that bad, but as a stand-alone movie kind of sucked.

I wonder what "B5 : memory of the shadows" will be like? I think that is what it is supposed to be called? It will certainly be interesting to see Babylon 5 on the big screen!

I was thinking it would be cool to see a Babylon 5 movie/mini-series starring Sinclair about the last shadow war 1000 years ago. I bet that JMS has some great ideas for that even though I doubt it would ever get made.

What would you like to see a Babylon 5 movie about?

9. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    For me the order of preference for the movies is:

1. In the Beginning
    2. Third Space
    3. A Call to Arms
    4. A River of Souls
    5. The Gathering

A great shame that WB's keep delaying the R2 releases of the movie collection (and why only 3 discs instead of the full 5? :confused: ) but more importantly the 5th Season.

I got the R1 version of the movie box set but am getting fed up of waiting for the R2 Complete Season 5 release, even more aggravating is know that the US got this back in April just as we were getting Season 4.

In terms of spin-offs, I thought it a shame that Crusade wasn't given much of a chance. Agreed that LotR is pants but then I'm not really much of a fan of The Gathering either, Pilot shows tend to be poor generally as actors are trying to find/develop their characters and plots are usually weak.

As for a movie... I like the idea of a movie that concentrates on the Psi Corps in some way.

S.

10. bom bom

bom bom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I completely agree with you about Crusade. They really should have given it a chance to bloom and develop, I think it could have been a fantastic show. I admit it started slowly but then most TV shows do in the first season.

The UK DVD releases are frustrating especially since the US releases were rushed due to demand. I agree that the Babylon 5 movies should have been released like they were on region 1 because clearly that is a superior package. At some point I do intend to go with region 1 because of the superior version of In the beginning(5.1 sound), besides it is nicer to have one box-set rather than a box-set and two loose DVDs!

Your idea for a movie sounds interesting and is quite possible I would say. We know eventually there's the war between "normals" and telepaths, so we may well see either the telepath war or a prelude to it.

11. zantarous

zantarous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    You can bet your bottom dollar that the B5 movie will be about the telepath war, JMS has mentioned this several times over the years and I as a big fan would love to see the conclusion of this story.

There is unlikely to be any filmed version of this mostly due to the fact that there would be no human characters involved but JMS did write a graphic novel about this a few years back, I managed to pick up a copy of this last year but still haven’t gotten around to reading this.

12. bom bom

bom bom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Do you really think the next Babylon 5 movie will be about the telepath war? I can see it being made some time but I was under the impression the title would be Babylon 5: the memory of shadows or something like that. Going by that title I wouldn't have thought it relates to the Telepath War.

I did think that not having any human characters would cause a problem but perhaps that could be solved by the Vorlon's, like Jack the Ripper was in their service perhaps they picked up other humans for various other tasks?

What exactly is a graphic novel? And what was it called?

13. zantarous

zantarous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    I am sure that it will revolve around the telepath war. JMS said that he had been saving this for the big screen outing. Remember B5 is a multi layered saga and has many many threads dangling from the series.

If you have seen season 5 you are ok to read the below spoiler:

Remember that the telepaths are essentially weapons created by the Vorlons which were used in the numerous Shadow War. They are a legacy of that war and are probably not the only weapon left behind. The Shadows may still play a part in this but it is unlikely they will return or feature heavily.

A graphic novel is a like a comic book, in this case it was a collection of a four (I think) issue series.

14. bom bom

bom bom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And I never thought of it that way. I just figured it would have more direct connection to the shadows like one of their allies or something like that. Anyway I imagine it's going to be a long wait before we get to see it anyway but I can't wait until it finally is released on DVD, shame it will be on Warner Brothers though

15. zantarous

zantarous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Don't take what I say for fact or anything its just my opinion and the conclusion I have come to by following his postings over the years for all we know he could be thinking of doing a musical :laugh:

My best guess for a release date would be maybe summer 2006 as he has recently handed in his last draft before the final version. I also suspect that there has been talk of money and at least some type of guarantee for the project to go ahead, JMS would not have let the internet community know if things weren't going well and also in one of his recent postings he mentioned that the death of Richard Biggs had slowed things down as parts of the script needed to be changed. His last cryptic clue was posted recently which went something along the lines of (sorry I do not have the exact quote) "For the first time in five years somewhere in England there is a door with the words Babylon 5 on it."

16. bom bom

bom bom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You weren't kidding when you said it was cryptic! Well whatever the project turns out to be , whenever it is released, no matter of the budget or cast it is something I am looking forward to watching.

Where does JMS post these postings? And how frequent does he post Updates?

17. zantarous

zantarous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Sorry mate I completely forgot you posted this. A complete archive of all JMS postings can be found at www.JMSnews.com One boarded afternoon at work I trawled through several years worth of posts.

He regularly posts at http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&group=rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated, this is the link to the web version you can also use Outlook and get it all via email (I tried this once and got flooded with mail use the web version).

I cannot remember how I did it but I signed up for a mailing list that comprises of his posts which get mailed to me whenever he makes a posting. I can dig up the administrators email if you want to get added.

Sometimes he can post daily sometimes he can post once a week or once a month it really depends and it is not only B5 he posts about but all his work, politics or just general chit chat. He is a very insightful guys and can back up just about everything he says with real good arguments, but I have on a few occasions read posts where he has torn into some poster and ripped him or her to shreds.