How do you pronounce 'scone'?

Egg White

Distinguished Member
I don't think there's any right or wrong way to say it (tho, I'm sure someone will correct me :rolleyes:) - but I'm fairly sure it's a regional thing - where northern people will say it like gone, and the southern people like cone...

sniffer66

Distinguished Member
sss-con. And I'm from the South

I was always taught sc-own was the naff way to say it and sss-con was correct

jackster12

Standard Member
reiteration said:
I don't think there's any right or wrong way to say it (tho, I'm sure someone will correct me :rolleyes:) - but I'm fairly sure it's a regional thing - where northern people will say it like gone, and the southern people like cone...

Yeah I think it might be :)

Egg White

Distinguished Member
I didn't think I was posh.. I think it might be to do with where in Britain you're from.

yeah, I knew some people from kent and they pronounced it as cone - and they were the skankiest people I've ever met :smashin:

mjn

Distinguished Member
The same as gone......sss-con. Simples.

You'll be telling me its barrrrrr-th next, and not bath.

BT Bob

Distinguished Member
I'm in the "s-cone", like bone, camp.

DPinBucks

Distinguished Member
Actually, as a northerner, I've always pronounced it like cone, as did everyone I knew. I've found the 'gone' version to be southern (and especially west country, as per my wife's family).

Now here are the real questions:
  • Fruit or plain? Plain, of course. The fruity ones are an abomination unto the Lord;
  • Warm or cold? Cold
  • Cream first or jam first? Jam first.
  • Spread the jam and cream or put a bit of each on before each bite? Bit of each.

mjn

Distinguished Member
Fruit? or plain?

Surely, cheese wins?

Egg White

Distinguished Member
Actually, as a northerner, I've always pronounced it like cone, as did everyone I knew. I've found the 'gone' version to be southern (and especially west country, as per my wife's family).

Now here are the real questions:
  • Fruit or plain? Plain, of course. The fruity ones are an abomination unto the Lord;
  • Warm or cold? Cold
  • Cream first or jam first? Jam first.
  • Spread the jam and cream or put a bit of each on before each bite? Bit of each.

where you from..?

mjn

Distinguished Member

BT Bob

Distinguished Member
I like a fruit scone (like bone).

Slice in half, cream (ideally clotted) on one half, jam (preferably raspberry) on the other half, then re-assemble and enjoy with a nice cup of Assam tea.

Hungry now:smashin:

I'm not a fan of a cheese scone.

gibbsy

I'm in the "s-cone", like bone, camp.

That must be a Cardiff scone. We put a couple of extra letter o in the valleys. Scooone.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sonus faber unveils new flagship Arena speaker series
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sharp showcases its upcoming 4K TV and audio line-up
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
HiFi Rose announces all-in-one RS520 audio streamer
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022