How do you process 2 Ch PCM or 2 Ch DD signals, nowadays?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by johngerard, Apr 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. johngerard

johngerard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I still use my Tag McLaren AV32R, which has plain vanilla DD and DTS. It also has DPL II Movie, which I utilise for either 2 Ch PCM coming in from the TV (the processor can't deal with HE-AAC, & has no HDMI inputs, so uses audio return from the TV), or DD 2 Ch (some stuff on Netflix, for example).

Nowadays, I understand DPL II (and associated) isn't on any receivers/processors anymore (or very few). So what do you use to process 2 Ch PCM or DD 2 channel stuff? What options are there for turning a two channel signal into faux five channel, so to speak?

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,652
    The receivers that are Atmos and or DTS:X enabled include both Dolby Surround and Neural:X upmixing. These will effectively do much the same job as you'd expect of the older Dolby Pro Logic or DTS Neo upmixing modes plus the ability to create pseudo 3D immersive audio for output via the additional speakers you'd associate with Dolby Atmos and or DTS:X.

Here's what Dolby have to say about Dolby Surround Upmixing: