1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you plug in a scaler or similar?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by xenole, Jun 12, 2005.

1. xenole

xenole
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    At present, I have the choice of buying say a PV500 or waiting until the panel only version comes out and getting that plus some sort of scaler.
    Assuming I went with the latter, how exactly do these things work with the screen? Just a matter of plugging say component leads from the screen to the box (or do the screens have anything like that in the first place?).

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    xenole

The majority of External Processor's have the ability to Output Digital (via DVI or HDMI) plus Analogue (via RCA, BNC or HD15) RGB or YUV signals.

With a PV500 you would most likely be going Into the PlasmaTV on the HDMI Input and with the 7 or 8 Series Display model you will fit the Optional HDMI or DVI Input Board into the Display.

If you want the best out of your system I'd suggest you hold fire for the Display model as traditionally with Panasonic the marriage of a Processor with Display is more advantageous than marrying a Processor with a TV.

Best regards

Joe

3. xenole

xenole
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    But how do these boards get into the display? Do you physically plug them into the panel eg like fitting a graphics card to a pc, or slot in like a sim card.

I'm more inclined to wait anyway as I mainly watch dvds.........

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Just like a card in a PC there are slots underneath (delivered with blank covers) and you just slot it in and screw it together.

5. newsagent

newsagent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
  6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    xenole

I guess the others beat me to it :)

The 37" Display has Two expansion slots and the 42, 50 and 65" Displays have Three Expansion slots.

There's a pretty extensive list of Input Boards you can slot into the Display to cater for most Analogue and Digital connectivity requirements.

You can swap Input Boards in and out with ease - always ensuring you have the Display disconnected from the mains first of course.

The Video Processor will have a range of Input sockets to cope with most Consumer Video signal types - Composite, S-Video, Component and SCART RGB along with HDMI and DVI (for Video or PC).

To the uninitiated the complexities of marrying a bunch of sources to a Processor and then the Processor to a Display is quite a daunting task - I'd suggest you may want to find a Dealer who will handle the whole package including Planning, Installation, Configuration and Calibration.

Best regards

Joe

7. xenole

xenole
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

Had a look at a particular website and saw some pictures of these "cards". Would be nice if they did a dvi and hdmi card rather than separate ones - or do they?
    Would ideally want hdmi, dvi for my pc and scart or component for my dvd player, whatever is better or for my tastes - so that's either 3 or 4 depending on what's out.

Did think the panel only would be a lot cheaper but the Panasonic 7 series panel (this has the same resolution as the PV500, but is it actually HD ready with the right card?) seems to be around £2100 with up to £1k for boards, so could work out up to £1k more than say the PV500. Probably find prices do vary though.

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    xenole

If Panasonic supplied Boards with Dual HDMI/DVI Inputs sure as fate lots of folk would complain they were being charged for an extra Input when they only required One :)

There are DVI (TY-42TM6DB) and HDMI (TY-FB7HM) Boards for the 7 Series Displays - these are NOT HD Ready in so much as they only support 720P and 1080i at 60Hz.

There will be NEW HDMI and DVI Boards for the 8 Series that will support 720P(50) and 1080i(50) so will be HD Ready.

I expect a PHD8 will be pretty much the same price as the current PHD7.

Not sure where your pricing your Boards - even at full SRP your 1K budget is way too high; and you usually find the Boards are supplied at a preferential rate if bundled with a Display.

Three 7 Series Boards (1 x DVI + I x HDMI + 1 x SCART) at full SRP is £440.00.

Use a Lumagen or similar Video Processor and you potentially only Require One Input Board anyway - as the Video Processor has Two Digital Inputs; though if you fancy using the Split Screen facility in the Display then Two Digital Inputs (One for the PC and One for the Video Processor) is a good shout.

Best regards

Joe