How do you listen to music?

Ice Rich

Standard Member
Hello,

Im very new to the hi-fi scene but have recently put an order in for the Acoustic Energy Aego M 2.1 Speakers - should be here monday ;)

Im currently using a pair of multimedia speakers I bought for 10quid about 5 years ago so im expecting a nice upgrade in sound.

I would like some adivce on the best way to get a high quality sound from my set-up but am a little clueless.

What music file-type do you use? Is it best not to use MP3 atall due to it being compressed?

Thanks for any advice,
Rich

deaf cat

Hiya Ice,

What kit have you got?

Good idea to use lossless files if your using a pc based system, if you notice a difference of course.

Knyght_byte

Distinguished Member
with those speakers, anything from 192kpbs or above you shouldnt notice too much difference tbh......just use whatever you like......

128kpbs you might notice it doesnt sound quite so good and anything lower should be obviously compressed......

i've heard good things about those speakers for the money, should make things enjoyable ;-)

Ice Rich

Standard Member
Thanks for replys,

Im not heavily into the AV scene im just after a nice set-up I can chill to music to.

Like I said at the moment I have a really old 10quid set-up (2 speakers) that sound awful. What kind of upgrade will I likely see?

Also does it matter how I set it up? does the SUB need to be placed anywhere in paticular?

Thanks

Rich

Knyght_byte

Distinguished Member
it should be a very good improvement over the previous things i'd imagine, it wont be hifi quality, but it'll still have decent dynamics and power for the size......

can i ask how much u paid for them btw?

oh for placement, tbh the sub could probably sit just about anywhere, altho having it next to a wall is best, then depending on your room, start with it in the corner, if it sounds a little boomy, then slowly pull along one of the walls away from the corner and keep listening, when you are getting nice powerful thudding and cracking bass rather than just boom boom boom then you got it setup right ;-)
hopefully...heh

Ice Rich

Standard Member
Thanks for reply, will take you advice.

Ordered the speakers new from OCUK (special offer this wek) and paid about £90 which included vat/delivery. Godd deal?

Thanks

Knyght_byte

Distinguished Member
OCUK normally provide a good deal, i do remember seeing those speakers in their offers list come to think of it..heh

for £90 u cant go far wrong really.....and being just 2.1 means a little more quality than the same price for 5.1 ;-)

hope you enjoy them, post back once they arrive so other people can know what they are like :)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom